What's a good TV show to start out with?

I'm a little disturbed by what TV for kids has turned into. I've done some research about how TV for kids has changed and I believe it is not for the best. For example, there's no room left for kids to make their own interpretations, to take away their own messages - everything is laid out and they are literally told what to think. So does anyone know of any low key children's programs that still contains some of the mystique from when we were kids? Something where someone's not screaming in your face every five seconds?

Isaidit

Asked by Isaidit at 2:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• DEPENDS AN HOW OLD YOUR CHILD IS
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 2:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• She is 20 months old. I don't really want to start for a couple more months though.
    Isaidit

Answer by Isaidit at 2:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Good old Sesame Street, and mostly anything on your PBS station. I've noticed the Noggin shows are fun, but they really don't learn anything.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 3:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Sesame street is a good one- we started with that. Actually Dora and Diego, and Ni Hao Kai-Lan are all ones that have you anwer their questions, and teach a different language. DD (3) watches those and knows how to count to ten in spanish, says different words in spanish, and is even starting on some chinese. The ones that have you interact are better I think.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Baby Einstein videos (rent, buy, or borrow from the library)...shut off the boob tube.
    Anonymous

• Public TV for my kids. Or the older Disney videos.
    Anonymous

• We like the Wiggles. My kids (1 and 3) both like the songs and the dancing. It isn't crazy wild though. Sesame street is great too.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 3:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Sesame Street is always a good first one. Elmo and/or Baby Einstein videos. Sprout and/or Noggin are good channels that have almost all learning/cute no violence or yuck sows. Dora is good at this age and Diego when a little older. Dora teaches sequencing, reading a map, vocabulary etc. You could also just get videos and not t.v. if you feel more comfortable with that. Goodwill, Salvation Army etc. are a great source of videos (VCR) for about 2-3 dollars each.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• The cartoons from my childhood(born in 1972) were violent so I think the stuff today is actually better. My son loved Nick Jr and Noggin when he was little.
    Anonymous

• Stick with PBS.
    WordWorld and SuperWHY on PBS are great for learning letters and that letters make words.
    Calliou is a sweet show about a little boy's daily "adventures".
    Curious George is nice and shows thinking skills (my daughter's favorite too).
    Older Blue's Clues and Dora also show thinking skills and sequencing but the newer ones are not nearly as good.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2008