potty training a boy....he isnt interested at all!

he just simply isnt intrested at all he has his own potty chair and everything and i bought him some pull ups that have Cars on them and they also have the cool alert as well but when i put them on him he will run around for a little while and he has plenty to drink so i hope he is going to tell me he goes potty but he just goes on about his business like nothing happened....and i know boys take a little longer but i would like to start before my DD starts next October when she turns 2 i know thats a little ways away i just want him at least started i feel like he will never get interested in it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• my oldest boy wasnt either. I put him in real under wear and made him try to go about every 15 minutes. I set myself a timer. After about 2 weeks of that he finally got use to it and was going on his own
    lonelymommyof2

Answer by lonelymommyof2 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• If he is not interested in it then put everything away. It can only confuse him. Put it away until he starts showing signs. By you pressuring him into it then he may rebel and it could take longer. My son was 3 1/2 when he was potty trained. Granted he had had some constipation and medical issues that played a part in that, but I waited until he was ready. Same thing with my 23 month old. I am not going to pressure him...although he is starting to show signs, I am going to wait one more month and then introduce the potty to him. Signs to look for....waking up dry in the morning or after a nap, telling you when they are wet or dirty, grabbing a diaper for you to change them, hiding to go poop. Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah, and get rid of the pull-ups. They don't aid in potty training...it's just a different form of the diaper. Go straight to underpants. You will have accidents, as you should while potty training. But without those accidents he will not learn. They have to be able to feel when they have gone potty, something they don't feel when using a pull-up. The cool alert ones don't do a thing. They don't know what it is that they are feeling and most of the time they ignore it...because it's done nothing to them. They need to feel it run down their legs to really know what it is that they are doing. Pump him full of fluids all day until 2 hours before bed time. Don't pressure sitting on the potty either. Having them sit until they do doesn't teach them anything either. It should take about a week, but after that week you should be well on your way to a potty trained little kid!
    Anonymous

• Don't push him. He'll do it when he's ready. Age 3 seems to be when my kids were completely diaper free.
    Rewards and lots of positive praise worked for us. A Hershey kiss for #2 on the potty...worked like a charm!
    Only used Pull-ups at bedtime for my daughter.
    Good luck!
    realtorshelly

Answer by realtorshelly at 2:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Let him run around the house naked as much as possible and throw some Cheerios in the toilet and let him 'shoot' at them...he'll have a blast. Both my boys were potty trained in about a week's time...dry day and night. Also, let him go to the potty with Daddy as much as possible so he can see what he's supposed to be doing.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 2:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My son didn't potty train for a full 18 months after his twin sister.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 5:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• unfortunately daddy doesnt live with us right now and its only my dad but he doesnt take him in there with him but he isnt waking up dry at all....from naps or bedtme either but i will most definatly try the underpants and hopefully that works as well thanks :)
    Anonymous