Should the authorities get involved for a simple fight at school?

My 13 year old has never got in trouble at school. But last week a friend of his was poking a pencil at his neck and he turned around and smacked him in the face. The friend in return punched my son in the face twice. They both had alternative school for three days and have to go to court next month. I think it is a lil' crazy to make my son go to court the first time he has gotton in trouble in 9 years!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I think the school's punishment was sufficient....even though I don't feel he should have been punished for defending himself!

I think the fact that the authorities are involved is rediculous! I mean, if weapons were involved or something, then sure, involve the authorities. But in a simply scuffle? No way!
    Anonymous

• i think that is a little extreme
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• hmm. Tough one. I think the school punishment was adequate, but maybe they are trying to set an example. It sounds a little overboard IMO. Good luck~
    realtorshelly

Answer by realtorshelly at 2:40 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Agree with the extreme comment. But at our High School, a boy took my son down on the ground after school hours, but yet on school grounds. The other boy was harassing my son for awhile and the school officials were aware of it. So, as a result of this fight, my son was suspended for 3 days from school and the other kid got a week or so. We felt it was unfair for our son to be suspended, but were only told it was school policy as he was "involved". Also, we have a truancy officer at the school who was on our son's side and did not press charges--but the other kid probably got a disorderly conduct charge or something. At least I hope so! So, I guess setting an example for others is a good option, but the punishment received hopefully is fair under the circumstances.
    Squirrel1001

Answer by Squirrel1001 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• That happened at our school in 7th. The parents had to option of pressing charges. In this case the kid was spit on and shoved up against some lockers... he might have asked for it. Why bring the law into it? I agree its extreme.
    Anonymous

• if this was his first time getting in trouble and he did not ask for it ,yes it was wrong of the courts too make him pay for some one elses mistakes?
    portal

Answer by portal at 3:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I think the school has very strict guidelines to follow for fighting in school. They are just doing their job. They take fighting very seriously...I would def get your son some counseling too, he sounds like he has some anger issues. Good luck, its better to put an end to this kind of behavior now, because it will only get worse.
    Anonymous