My 16 month old doesn't talk besides mama and dada...is this normal?

I'm also not convinced when she does say those that she is referring to me or her dad, she may just be blabbering (which she does a lot of...but not actual words.)

AliRose022207

Asked by AliRose022207 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter didnt talk till she was atleast 20 months. Dont worry she will talk when she is ready.
    ajksmom

Answer by ajksmom at 2:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• my kids are 19mo and they only say a couple of words too.
    tfmmpmmdmmom

Answer by tfmmpmmdmmom at 2:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Yes, it's normal. All kids talk at different times. When mine was that age she didn't talk at all. Then all of a sudden, language just began exploding! Now, at 23 months, she speaks in full 5 and 6 word sentences.
    newmommie

Answer by newmommie at 2:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• it may be different where your from, but here in Ny ..... they have a program threw social services that is called "early intervention" they come out and check the baby/kid with different test and if the child needs help they give you a therapist to work with the child , and it's a free program, call your local social services office. and ask about it
    prettyeyes412

Answer by prettyeyes412 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• my 16 month old son is exactly the same way... not really an answer to your question but I know it makes me feel better to know that other kids aredoing the same thing!!
    Alison1221

Answer by Alison1221 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I second early intervention. Anytime your mommy gut speaks, it's better to know for sure than to be sorry later. It may just be that she's not quite ready to talk, but best to be sure!
    faeriemamma

Answer by faeriemamma at 6:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Early intervention is unnecessary AT LEAST until 18 months. My son didn't talk until he was 16 months, he ONLY said dada and then from 16 months, he's been talking up a storm. He still doesnt put 2 words together at 23 mo old but he's getting there. If at 18 months, she is still not making much improvement, talk to your pediatrician and read up also! Don't just trust your doctor. The norm for kids in speech is usually alot less than we imagine.
    luvr4ula

Answer by luvr4ula at 8:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My 16 month old daughter says lots of words. She doesn't always say them clear for everyone to hear. She has her way of communicating with me. She has word association though. If you ask her for the cup or the bunny, she will bring you what you ask for, she's been doing that since around 12 months. She follows commands like when you ask her to pick up her toys, and comes if you ask her to. I am not worried right now about her talking. My niece didn't talk right away when she was little. Part of the problem that makes kids not talk, is the parents trying to get them to talk. I feel my daughter will talk when she is ready.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2008