How can I help my boy learn to crawl he is so close but is having trouble

My boy is alost 6 months old and he is having trouble crawling. how can I help him

kennithsmom

Asked by kennithsmom at 8:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DON'T! He'll learn in his own time and it's much harder to keep up with him. Enjoy the time have before now he becomes mobile!
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Lots of tummy time. And put a toy just out of his reach. Let him try to get to the toy for a few minutes before giving it to him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• You don't need to help him learn to crawl. The best advice I ever got before I had my baby was to enjoy every day, not be looking forward to the next and miss the one you're living in. My DD took a while too, but that's just how babies learn :)
    Cheryn

Answer by Cheryn at 8:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• And yes, MAUREENN55 is right. Once he is crawling, you'll wonder why you ever encouraged him. Of course you'll forget that when you want him to walk... until you wonder why you wanted to chase a toddler everywhere!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• My daughter was delayed, so we had a physical therapist to show us some things...but right now his muscles are still developing so all he really needs to do is be himself, playing and kicking. Sometimes we'd back our daughter up against something she could push off of, like placing her on the carpet and backing her against the couch. In due time, it'll happen!
    cgirlcinch

Answer by cgirlcinch at 8:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• honey my daughter is 10 months old and she had the same problem instead of her useing her knees she would get on all four and try to crawl she did that for about two months maybe a month and then she just finally got it today just let it happen in time when he feels safe and ready he will do it on his own dont worry i felt like she was never gonna get it but look in the end they always prove us wrong lol oh ya, but fyi he may walk before he crawls just to let you know some babys do that ..
    newmommy174

Answer by newmommy174 at 9:09 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• My son was almost 10 months before he picked it up, no need to rush him! He literally just figured it out one day, it was kind of weird! I discovered that if mine would watch other kids crawl or walk, he would try it himself. Now he's all over the place in less than a month! I'm not even sure you can really "teach" babies, they just kind of learn on their own, although encouragement is the best way for sure. Keeping a toy or you out of reach and getting excited when he tries it will keep him wanting more. Good luck and, yes, you WILL thank the times when he was stationary! :-)
    all4Jordan

Answer by all4Jordan at 9:37 PM on Jul. 14, 2008