23 and tubes tied??

Im 23 and I have a little girl that is 14months....My DH and I are TTC and I was curious on what everyone thought if it would be crazy once I get preg. and have the baby to go ahead and have my tubes tied.....Am I to young? Just asking you ladies with more life experience.....(I have to get a c-section anyways) So please give me your honest oppinons....No Bashing please.....Thanks all.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Just for Fun

• i think that is ok as long as you are sure you don't want any more down the road
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Wait. You may change your mind. Why not consider an IUD? It works for several years and is reversible if you decide you want more children.

Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 3:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I think 23 is terribly young to be making such a permanent decision. You may find your doctor will refuse to do it anyway.

Most OBs don't like doing them on women under 30 who have fewer than 3 children. In this litigious society, it's begging for a lawsuit. Don't scoff, it's happened, doctors HAVE been successfully sued for performing a tubal because the plaintiff was able to argue that at such a young age they had no grasp of the permanence of the procedure. At 23, I'd consider long term BC such as Mirena long before I went for a tubal. I had mine done when I was 26, and the only reason my doc agreed to it was that I had 3 kids and that another pregnancy would be life threatening.
    Anonymous

• U are young yet honey. Since this is your first one just enjoy the moments with him I gaurentee it will either make you want more or not. Just leave the options open
    themommy160

Answer by themommy160 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I'd wait. 23 is so young to make a decision like that.
    Anonymous

• MANY OB/GYN's will NOT perform a tubal ligation on a woman under 30, unless you have a MEDICAL/GENETIC reason for wanting a tubal...such as being mentally disabled, having a high predisposition for passing along genetic mutations, being a perpetually pregnant drug addict (court appointed), having the AIDS virus, etc.

OP--you're beter off just going on Merena--which is good for like 5 years. You can re-evaluate things then.
    Anonymous

• Like others have said, the doctor probably wouldn't do it. I don't think you are to young to know what you want though. You are trying to pregnant with number 2 and if you know you don't want anymore no one else can really tell you you'll change your mind. If you want a permanent form of birth control, you may have more luck having husband get a vasectomy. Vasectomies "can" be reversed if you do end up changing your mind, although it isn't plan A, it can be done, usually.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 3:44 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Mine wouldn't do it that young. I had to wait until I was older. By then, I had another kid. I got mine tied at 28, after my younger child was 10 months old.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I would say go with what your heart tells you. Not what everyone else says and what the statistics are. Just be completely open with your doctor about why and how sure you are on not wanting to have anymore children. I have 1 child, and currently am pregnant for my second. After this one I am considering not having anymore. But I don't want to get my tubes tide just yet, because what happens when my babies are grown up? What if I will be so sad that they are say 8 years old and I want to bear another child? You just have to weigh out the pro's and con's. After all it is your body and your life! good luck
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Under 30? That is not true. Do it if your sure you don't want any kids. I'm getting mine done and I only have 1 child and i'm SURE, POSITIVE that I don't want to have another one.
    Anonymous