UTI in a 4 month old baby girl? What would cause it?

My sis had to take her 4 month old daughter to the hospital last night because she had a 104 degree fever. The doc told them that she has a UTI. What would cause this in a 4 month old? It is pretty scary, they said she screams every time she pees. =(

lamom2aj

Asked by lamom2aj at 9:43 AM on Aug. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Improper wiping with changes?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:45 AM on Aug. 22, 2011

• Is the milk well balanced with the water i mean it shoud not be more milk than water make sure u make the bottle at right measurment. if you breastfeed make sure you drin enough water and clear fluid to pass it in the milk.
    babymom596

Answer by babymom596 at 9:46 AM on Aug. 22, 2011

• Urine staying in the badder too long can build up. Improper cleaning is a huge misconception, actually soaps and wipes can contain ingredients that can cause a UTI. They may need to switch their wipes and be careful not to wipe her urethra.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 22, 2011

• Improper wiping or letting her sit in a dirty diaper too long. I kept a spray bottle of water and used wet tissues for wiping after wet diapers. I rarely used wipes.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 22, 2011

• Irritation of some sort, new soap to sitting in a dirty diaper,,poor kiddo
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:56 AM on Aug. 22, 2011

• Most likely, from cleaning up from a dirty diaper. Always wipe front to back. I know there are times when, well, it just isn't possible, because it fills the entire diaper. (eww) But, one of those cases probably caused the UTI. Some antibiotics will clear it up.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:56 AM on Aug. 22, 2011

• It's just as easy for a baby to get a UTI as it is for an adult...it could be any kind of bacteria that came from vaginal bacteria or rectal...it doesn't necessarily mean she was wiped wrong. She could have had the diaper on too long, or the bacteria could have just ended up at her urethra and traveled into the urinary system. Hopefully she's on good antibiotics and will heal quickly. Change her a LOT so nothing has the chance to come in contact with her urethra.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:17 AM on Aug. 22, 2011

• It could be that she is not being wiped good enough, or there really could be no reason. My DD used to them also when she was younger. She had about 3 before she was 4 years of age. It is very scary.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 11:20 AM on Aug. 22, 2011

• Wiping/cleaning correctly sounds like the best answer.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:29 PM on Aug. 22, 2011

• its that.. or i know some children have an infused labia.. my daughter had this and by 7 months it went away and my doc told me that it causes UTI's
    jenna_rose

Answer by jenna_rose at 11:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2011