What is the next step in potty training?

My 2 year old has been without diapers successfuly for the last four days with no accidents. Even during naps. While I am very excited I am scared to leave the house. should I give it more time? do we bring a potty with us? do I put a diaper on him during outings and if yes, will this set us back? Then when do I know when to try overnight? There are millions of long complicated books, but I need some realy experienced mother advice. I am clueless and isolated here.

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Before leaving the house, ask your child if they have to go potty. Take small trips around town--like 20-30 minutes--or short trips to a friend's house. Upon arriving wherever/returning home(if your child didn't go potty before leaving), have them get on the potty again. Definitely bring a change of clothes! I wouldn't even have pull ups/diapers as an option anymore (just keep buying baby wipes for a while!) just underwear.

As for overnights, buy a waterproof mattress pad, and just use a fitted sheet over it. Try not to give your child any water/juice 2+ hours before bedtime...see what happens!

I found the most success using a minute timer. Every 20-30 minutes. After my sons learned to pee or poop "on demand" whenever the timer went off, a few weeks later they would announce they had to go potty, and a few weeks after that they just went themselves....I still remind them before we go anywhere though! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• my kids were funny they did better using the bathroom when we were not at home than at home. I would just carry a change or 2 of clothes with me and wipes. They also have these little toilet seats that fold up into a square that you can use in public restroom (I bought mine a toys r us years ago) I used to just always carry it with me in a plastic gallon bag (hygenic and makes the toilet seat the correct size).
    As for at night, def. have a plastic mattress or sheet and I personally would just go by what your child is doing. If she keeps waking up with dry diapers I would go ahead and take them away at night. If not I'd wait. My son had no issues he was done with all diapers by 2 1/2, my 3.5 year old diaper still needs them to sleep, and I'm not stressing her about it (am stressing myself -- even with diapers she make a mess and I'm tired of the laundry) LOL
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:22 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I've heard to not bother with overnight until the child has been well trained for daytime at least 6 months. She may self train for nights quickcly and easily in the next few months or she may continue to wet for months or years like many, many other kids.

For short outings, I leave my daughter in panties.
    For long outings or when I'm not certain where a bathroom is, I put her in a pull-up.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My daughter has been potty trained for about a month. She is 2. I ask her if she has to go potty before we leave if it is a short trip she wares panties and if it is a long trip she wares a pull up. She also wares pull ups to bed.
    kenziesmom2006

Answer by kenziesmom2006 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 27, 2008