ANTS!!!!! In my Closet, my clothes. Help.

I have some idea about what they were attracted to. I do not think there is anything actually in my closet that they came in for. I think they were already outside because of pee soaked sheets that were left outside (sugar in the pee from my son), and they went from there to crawl into my house.
So, imagine, my husband hollaring for me this morning. 'ANITA WHAT THE HELL IS IN OUR CLOSET!!' There were little sugar ants crawling all over my clothes.

So, backstory out of the way. WTH DO I DO? I sprayed ant killer along their trail on the wall of the closet, and I took out the clothes with the most ant concentration outside, and ended up having to spray them too.

Will the bug spray wash off in the washing machine?

Any special cleaner you would suggest to add to the loads?

Do you think I need to clear ALL the clothes out of the closet. I hope you don't think that. Man, I hate doing laundry.

How would you handle this?

mas2124

Asked by mas2124 at 10:58 AM on Aug. 22, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Sorry, yeah. You're going to need to get the closet cleared out and cleaned. Borax will kill them, but it works best if you make a trap. (Borax and sugar or corn syrup in a small lidded container. Poke holes in the top so the ants can crawl in)

Bug spray will wash off in the laundry and you don't need any special soap. I would recommend a vinegar rinse to get the pesticide residue off the clothes
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 11:04 AM on Aug. 22, 2011

• I found a really great ant poison at the grocery store. It's called Terro, and it's the ONLY thing that worked for us. We used to have ants so bad that I had to vacuum 4 or 5 times a day. When I found the Terro, I started using it and I haven't had a single ant in my house since. To use it, put a drop on a piece of cardboard and set that where they are coming into the house. Make sure your kids/pets don't touch it though.
    Good luck!
    Babyness

Answer by Babyness at 11:01 AM on Aug. 22, 2011

• according to Mike Holmes (HGTV)
    if the ants are getting into the house there is an opening that needs to be closed/ sealed
    just killing them isn't enough- they will keep getting in
    he recommends following their path to find the opening and caulk it over

i would give you a link to the episode he discussed it on, but we watched the entire series over the course of a few days so have no idea which one- sorry
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2011

• As for your washing machine, run it a couple times with plain white vinegar, no clothes or anything, and that should clean it right out!
    Babyness

Answer by Babyness at 11:02 AM on Aug. 22, 2011