Pain Meds while In Labor

Im 33 weeks and i have already signed up for my epidural. I am having second thoughts about getting it. so my question is are there other pain meds that they can give me through the iv, and is there a way that they can numb the area down there right before the head crowns?

TBrown34450

Asked by TBrown34450 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Fentanyl, Demerol, or morphine are a few that i know of.
    GraciesMom52407

Answer by GraciesMom52407 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• o as far as numbing you down there i have no clue sorry.But CONGRATS!!
    GraciesMom52407

Answer by GraciesMom52407 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• They gave me nubane during my induction which just made me care a little less about the pain lol... they also gave me a local before the head crowned (I had an episiotomy/tear but I'm sure if you asked they would give it to you even if you didn't need cut)... the local did hurt but I'm sure not as much as feeling everything during the pushing, or as much as an epidural (just a guess I've never had an epidural)... and I did not feel the head crown at all, I actually asked the dr. what it was because I was certain that it was not big enough to be the head lol
    dance_chica

Answer by dance_chica at 9:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• the epideral really helps, but the nubane they gave me for the first 15 hours of labor didn't do much for me. if your uncomfortable with the idea of an epideral try for a water birth, or really work on your breathing and relaxation techniques. it will also depend on your pain tolerance.
    carinsmommy

Answer by carinsmommy at 10:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• http://www.cpmc.org/services/pregnancy/information/labor_medications.html Try this
    Anonymous

• I really can't remember which I had but I had IV meds for the first time with my last (#5). I would much rather IV meds than the epi. I've heard so many stories about the epi and side effects for YEARS after.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 11:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I had four kids and didn't get an epidural till the last one, boy was I stupid to wait...LOL... I must say that i would do it all over again.
    wondermommy5

Answer by wondermommy5 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• There are pain meds and they can numb you but it is a local and only if you start to tear...I had the epidural and i also went onatural and i will tell you the epidural was great..I would recomend it...
    cara125

Answer by cara125 at 2:51 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I've had 1.) an epidural (first born) and 2.) the meds in the iv plus the local injection (second born). Both times, the pain meds I was given curbed the pain, but not as much as I would have liked it to. Why? The doctors and nurses said that they needed me to feel some of the pain so that I could work with it (for the birthing process to happen). It wasn't until I learned more about the birthing process that the pain became more manageable and tolerable. I learned how to "work with the pain" instead of "fighting against the pain," which was what I had been doing up until that point. Suggestion... do an Internet search and read up on the Bradley Method. It helped me understand contractions & how to interpret the crowning process "pain." I know it sounds weird, but it really did help me. I wish I would have known about the Bradley Method from the beginning.
    Webinue

Answer by Webinue at 6:31 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I agree with Webinue, but I'm not familiar with the Bradley Method. I had epidurals with my first two and the labors were hellish. The first one, I couldn't feel a thing and didn't know when to push. The 2nd, I could feel it, but pushing with a numb uterus was like walking when your foots asleep. With the last one, the epidural didn't work. They gave me Fentanyl, which helped me relax, but the pain was there. It was the easiest labor. 3 pushes. If I would have any more, I wouldnt get the epidural at all.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:18 AM on Jul. 15, 2008