Is my baby over-eating?

My 6 week old seems to east CONSTANTLY! I am breastfeeding, an that seems to be all I do every day is feed him. Is it possible to "over feed" a baby?

I am also pumping, but since my baby eats so frequently I can barely pump 4oz in a whole day. I am trying to pump enough to be able to return to work, but it seems like I can never get ahead.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Aug. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can't really overfeed a breastfed baby. At this age they are still getting used to the nursing and helping your body adjust to know what to make. Your LO could also have a growth spurt coming on and be nursing more to up your supply. Keep pumping and when the baby slows down, hopefully you will be able to pump more.

Pumping doesn't always work that great for some women and some babies. With my first I could pump 8 to 10 ounces out. But with the second I could only get a couple. Watch your baby and just think about how precious he is - that should help the milk flow. It seems strange - but it is true. The more I think sappy thoughts about my baby - the more the milk flows. :)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2011

• A breastfed baby really can not overeat. Is he actively nursing the entire time, or is he using you as a pacifier once in a while? And as far as the pumping, pump one side while he nurses on the other - that will help big time with output. Make sure you're staying well hydrated, eating plenty, and try some of the milk-producing food boosters like oatmeal, mothers milk tea, etc, if you aren't already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2011

• The "rule" for a baby that young is to feed when they're hungry. And babies go through a LOT of growth spurts, when they eat like two times more than usual. The first one happens around 6-8 weeks, so that could be it. If that's the case, it'll slow down again. If your supply is having trouble keeping up, you could always supplement with formula when the feedings get too demanding.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2011

• at 6 weeks I wouldn't think any baby could overeat.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2011

• There's no need to feed a baby more than 4 oz. of breastmilk in a feeding--their bellies are just so small! If you're feeding at the breast, baby will tell you when s/he's done, but if you're bottle feeding your breast milk, choose a limit. I've noticed that if my son eats more than 4 oz, he'll generally spit most of it up. If we stop feeding at only 4 oz of breastmilk, he rarely spits up...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2011