Would you make your child

who did not have a watch and came home late for dinner write "I will not be late for dinner" two hundred times as a punishment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• That is cruel!
    Be an adult and buy the poor child a watch!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• umm no thats gay
    Anonymous

• Um...had the child been told it was time to come home and just dawdled coming home? Other than that how were they supposed to know when it was time to come home?

If they were told to head home and just wasted time making them late..some discipline was in order. I might have started with 100 times and/or grounding, though.

If it was simply because they had no watch, then I have to wonder who is really at blame if they had no way to know what time it was......
    Anonymous

• No, I would not make a rule and not give the child some way to obey it. So if he has no way to know what time it is then he wouldn't be held responsible.

Answer by Bmat at 3:47 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Depends on the situation. But, buy the kid a watch if you want them to be home on time.
    Anonymous

• Probably. But all punishments should fit the actions. The kid not having a watch doesn't have bearing if they are at a place where they would know the time and know better (watching tv shows that come on at a certain time at a friend's house etc)  And I'd be all for making them write it if "forgetting" was the problem :)  I always writing things down to remember them!

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 3:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Probably not. First I'd get him a watch. Then I'd make him responsible for being on time. Even then, you really have to judge each child differently and adujst your expectations, requirements, and punishments to the child.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:11 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• No, that is a pointless punishment b/c it teaches nothing. Besides, depending on how mature the child is (not how old), many would not be able to stop themselves from having fun to check the time. If you want a child to succeed in following rules, then you must set him up to succeed, so he will feel good about following the rules & want to. Give the child a watch w/an alarm, set the alarm for 10 minutes before the time you want the child home (to allow for travel time) & tell the child the consequences for failure to comply b/f he goes. Now the child is set up to succeed, next time he can set the watch himself, & he already knows what his consequences are before he screws up, if he does. So when he does, you shouldn't even have to say anything. Better yet, write the consequences down & just point when he comes home - no argument, no emotional confrontation, end of discussion.
    Anonymous

• It depends. Just because you don't have a watch doesn't mean you shouldn't know what time it is. If your parent says be home at a specified time, you need to make it your business to get there. Parents need to dole out consequences appropriate to the offense and age. I wouldn't have my 16 yo write that but I would have an eight year old try it and I have used that method in the past when something important wasn't remembered.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I have to disagree that we need to feel good about and want to follow rules. Even as an adult, there are a bunch of rules I don't like and some that are just plain dumb. I still follow them though because there are consequences if I don't and I am accountable to an authority.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2008