How to disinfect toys????

My son is getting over croup and I want to disinfect all his toys but I am not sure what to use. Do I use bleach and water and if so how much of both???

Mama2Jackson

Asked by Mama2Jackson at 3:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Health

• I would just use an antibacterial dish soap and hot water. Let soak, then rinse thoroughly with cool clean water. Or, run them (toys only) in the dishwasher.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• If they are hard plastic toys, with no batteries, I put them in the bathtub with bleach. Read the directions on about how much to use. Antibacterial soap does not kill viruses. The dishwasher is a good idea though...the water gets hot enough to kill the virus. If it's stuffed toys, or soft toys that are without batteries, you can put them in the washing machine on hot with some color safe bleach. Make sure to put them in a pillow case tied off though. Then take them out of the pillow case to put them in the dryer. Lysol can suffice for things that have batteries in them.
    Anonymous

• I personally do not prefer to use bleach because of the health risks. Peroxide will disenfect the toys without all the harmful side effects.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 3:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Really peroxide???? I would have never thought of that.
    Mama2Jackson

Answer by Mama2Jackson at 3:47 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Straight vinegar, or peroxide.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 3:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I use bleach and water and let them dry ...then after that I wash them in water and soap and then let them dry again. I think you can use vinegar as well I'm not sure. Dreft also has a product but I'm not sure if it truly disenfects.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 4:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• http://www.clorox.com/products/overview.php?prod_id=ahsds

I love this clorox cleaner check it out !!!

Anonymous

• I used to put my sons toys in the dishwasher or washing machine. I have a friend that runs a day care center and that is what they do. The dishwasher gets really hot. If using the washing machine use the bleach/soap just like washing a load of clothes...run thru an extra rinse if you want.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• fill up a clean bath tub with hot water put in a couple cups of bleach let them soak and then put them on a towel to dry (if they are really dirty). i have also used the clorox anywhere hard surface spray on just about everything
    learae

Answer by learae at 2:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Bleach is great. Just let them soak a while. (Not full strength of course!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 AM on Jan. 4, 2009