what do censor from your young children?

movies, shows, and music.
Or certain people smokers or whatever you do id like to know.
for me i dont want my son watching things that are not for his age.(south park, family guy, you know) there are things meant for adults only.
music i dont need him listening to how he can shoot or stab someone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• I sheltered my children from anything that wasn't age appropriate. They only watched children's tv, DVDs and I had radio stations on in the car that were ok for them to hear or I played CDs. We had limited cable and when my daughter wanted to watch later night tv, she could only watch the food channel! She loved Emeril. Your children will accept the limits you place on those things and you need to explain what is good to expose themselves to as well as what isn't. You need to give them options that are good because they won't find advertisers selling anything good as the years move on. Today, my children make good choices. I continue to set limits with phones and computers. My 16 yo just got an ipodtouch. She knows I will pick it up at any time and browse. I have her passwords. Keep doing what you are doing mom, it's a very good job.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:35 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I censor nothing. I believe censoring things gives children an unrealistic view of the outside world.
    Anonymous

• If it is illegal then I censor it. I want him to learn a respect for law and not to feel that he is above it. So movies or music that is rated higher than his age he doesn't get to have or see. I also censor the words he uses. I don't use cuss words and don't want him using them.

Answer by Bmat at 3:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i agree there are things your little child shouldnt be watching. i dont need my kid running around saying f*** this or s*** that.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 3:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Ummm so far nothing... but my oldest is two. I LOVE Family Guy. Seriously, I watched it in labor with my second on my husband's iPod:) I don't care if my kids see it and don't understand. When it gets to the point that they are cognitive enough to get the language, then I would censor. So far we haven't had to cross this bridge. I do want to say that you can't hide the world from your kids... But you can show them what it is while you have the ability to mold their decision making in it.  I was sheltered... that is any mom's right.  But given my personality, it only made for trouble when I found out how things really where... and made me naive at times I could have really used the knowledge.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 3:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i think thats bull. my cousin censored a lot of bad tv shows, movies and stuff. and his kids learned what the real world is like. they are smart and in college and dont regret a thing!
    you shouldnt treat a child like they are an adult!
    Anonymous

• CSI, or any of the crime drama's...I don't want to be on bad dream duty. We don't cuss around my boys and neither does our family, we stick to G, PG and some PG13 ratings depending if their dad and I have seen it first. I don't let my boys watch the news...again prevention of bad dreams. Too realistic and he won't understand and I don;t want him to worry, they are only 5 and 4.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:51 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Anon my own experiences are hardly bull... I had them. That doesn't mean that other people's aren't valid either. And I never said they weren't. People almost always have varying experiences in life, we are all different. But when I say "sheltered" you have NO idea what I mean by that. It isn't a knock on others who censor... only that I will show my children more of the world than I was shown. 

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 3:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I censor according to age and/or child. I do not allow my son (5) to watch Power Rangers or any other type of show that has too much fighting or if I do allow it, its a limited amount. I watch with my kids and we talk about it. A lot of people have issues with Spongebob but I don't as of yet.
    When he was younger I did more, actually other than the type of shows on Noggin or sprout nothing else was allowed.
    I also do not watch any shows with blood or violence when they are awake (including CSI etc.) b/c that is not reality and not appropiate for young kids.
    Wanna laugh, a friend lent me Kill Bill I when he was about 6-8 months old, I covered his eyes and took him out of the room. Ended up just waiting till he was asleep to watch.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Mostly I sensor gratuitous violence and sex in movies. They can watch movies with violence and sex as long as it isn't too much or too in your face. They usually just turn away when it gets to the "kissy" parts, lol. And I don't like movies with tons of swearing (like the F word every other word...that's a personal preference for myself that carries onto my kids).
    Otherwise they watch and listen to anything. They pretty much have free access to movies raged G-PG13 and have watched some R rated movies with us. They listen to heavy metal and rap with my husband. And grew up watching the Simpsons. They are 8, 7, 6 and 2.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2008