Does whole milk cause less lactose intolerance than the percents or skim versions?

My baby will be starting cows milk next month. I'm in Texas and have been told that WIC will be giving me 2% only. Out family has a slight intolerance to milk and have read that the whole milk causes less intolerance. I'm aware of the fat content controversy. I of course as all moms do want the best for him so I did BF as long as it worked. Now I have to make a choice for him. So much controversy over which milk, non pasteurized, organic, etc. What works?

jadesteva

Asked by jadesteva at 3:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no, they contain the same lactose amounts. the percentages of milk is the fat content, not lactose (sugar from milk) content.

as far as I know, WIC provides whole milk (wic is a federal program so it doesn't vary except by brand) because children need the special fat in whole milk.

now, if your child has a lactose intolerance, you can get a note/prescription from the doctor to take to wic and they will give you lactose free whole milk.
    Anonymous

• in the first year they should have whole milk. If there is lactose issues WIC will give you lactose free whole milk.
    I actually found mine to tolerate the whole milk less well than the 2% later on.
    Also I'd do a gradual switch. Mix milk w/ breast and/or formula and slowly go over, looking for any reaction.
    My son actually went to goats milk instead b/c cows milk just did not work for him.
    If you can get Lactaid its Lactose and GBH free.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:03 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• The only difference between the milks is the fat content.

The doctor put my sons all on 2% when we switched. If you feel your son should have whole, get a note from the doctor "ordering" it and take that to WIC.

They wanted to put my (then) 3 year old on 1%. Yeah...that happened...(read dripping with sarcasm)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:32 PM on Dec. 27, 2008