Gift for my son

Just wondering what you all think (mainly moms with sons) My MIL gave our son a premie cabbage patch doll for christmas. It was a girl with a yellow dress. Would you let your son play with dolls or do you let him play with dolls? what about taking them out in public...I was thinking why a girl doll...why not a boy one...then it could be his buddy doll but I don't want to be rude.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Just for Fun

• That is pretty a odd gift. My son plays with my daughter's CPK but only when he's in his underwear and wants to be a strongman. He picks the baby doll up over his head and then flexes his muscles. We don't let him take it out in public, not that he's asked to.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I think it is an odd gift... but I see nothing wrong with a boy playing with a doll. Could you go buy the doll some boy clothes from the store? I know they sell other outfits for them...
    Anonymous

• I would be okay with a boy doll, my son has one...but a girl doll?
    Anonymous

• We were pretty uptight about gender specific toys when our boys were small. At 7 my oldest wanted an Easy Bake oven. I got one and my husband was livid. In the long run we learned it didn't make a difference. He enjoyed it and it didn't 'sissy-fy" him. Now we are raising our grandkids. One boy One girl. She plays with his trucks and he plays with her barbies and babydolls. I think we do our kids a disservice when we stereotype their toys. Let them paly with what they want to play with. If your son wants the doll ..no big deal. If he doesn't don't sweat it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2008