Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you get a job, when you cant afford day care and have no one to help you with your kids/

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Money & Work

Answers (12)
  • It's not easy. BUT there is a program in Texas through workforce that pays for your daycare, even while you are just looking for a job....

    Answer by cgirlcinch at 8:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

  • In my state, they offer daycare assistance for low-income households. Check to see if you have that in your might qualify!

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

  • Contact the state welfare office. They will help you to find a job AND help pay for child care in most cases! I know it sounds bad but the point of the welfare system is to help you when you need it. There is nothing wrong with asking for help! OR start your own business. That's what I did. Now I stay home with my kids and bring in an income! Check it out at or see my site at If you are willing to put out the effort you can do much better for yourself than you ever will working for someone else!

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:57 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

  • I think it is cheaper to stay home with the kids, not having to pay to commute, for your work wardrobe and lunches, and of course childcare.

    Answer by TXdanielly at 10:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

  • you can go to the local dhs office and let them know you need temporary assistance with daycare but I don't know alot about it. A friend of mine from my sons daycare was telling me about using it while her husband was hurt and she was trying to replace the income, not sure how long it covered it but I do know she said it payed 100% and that was $125 a week where my son goes...

    Answer by wondermommy5 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • the welfare office in most states can help with that....

    Answer by cara125 at 2:49 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • Idea: instead of paying daycare, maybe you can provide daycare for others from your home. Let's say you took in 4 kids at $125/week... that's $500 per week income. You may want to check with your local welfare office and see what it takes to provide child care to the moms who are accepting aid / government paid child care. Then, the state would pay you, guaranteed! No trying to collect from moms and dads who can't afford to pay you.

    Answer by Webinue at 5:17 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • Right now, my cousin is at job training and her son is in daycare. Paid by the state. They also gave her $1000 to get a car. We live in PA, it might be different for you, but there should be a program in your state for single moms. That's what it's there for. My cuz is soon going to be working and taking care of her son without assistance. I'm very proud of her for this. She had some hard times, but is doing it, on her own, with little money.

    Answer by drowninginboys at 11:10 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • Try to get a job at a daycare or something. You can often get your childcare for really cheap at certain places. Good Luck!!

    Answer by MommyMel03 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • Your state should have some sort of program that you can sign up for..It may pay for daycare, or subsidize it. There may also be assistance with job search, reume writing etc.. I would start by looking at any department in your state that provides government assistance and go from there..
    It sounds like you are motivated and I wish you the best!

    Answer by Caitlynsmommy07 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.