I am having an historectomy and im very scared. I want to know if anyone else has had one and how did you cope?

The kind of surgery im having is a vaginal historectomy, suppose to be less pain. but im just scared because I will be having a part of me removed, I feel if I have this surgery that will take my options away. Not saying I have to have more kids I just like having my options open. I feel if I get remarried my husband may want a child with his wife and I want be able to give it to him. I dont want to feel less than a woman. Im just afraid, of not being a whole woman. I want to know has anyone felt that way.

Shekinahnswadi

Asked by Shekinahnswadi at 4:03 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Health

• I had a hysterectomy many years ago. Back when the doctor cut a woman from side to side. You are feeling scared and that is normal. But, you will find that it is not as bad as you think it is going to be. A vaginal hyst. is the easiest surgery ever. I am a nurse and I have seen all kinds of surgery and that is the best. Another nurse I worked with was given six weeks off and she was out shopping the next day. And she went back to work in two weeks. She said she had never had surgery that was so easy and painless. It will be ok. If you keep fretting about it, it will be as bad as you think.
    POMMOM335

Answer by POMMOM335 at 6:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Vaginal, here. I was told give it 6 weeks to get my strength back and that was about right. I don't remember any pain at all and not much discomfort or inconvenience. There was a pang about not having any more children, but then I didn't want any anyway. There is the convenience of not having any more periods.
    Anonymous

• I had a partial vaginal hysterectomy about 4 years ago. The thought of it was much worse than the procedure.

I did have some sadness over the loss of my reproductive ability. However, I had a period that would not stop and was getting close to needing a blood transfusion. I got over the sadness though without any difficutly. Sure, I get the occassional bit of it. I think that all mom's do once the reproducing is definitely over.

One thing I would like to add. I did have a reaction to the stitches used on the inside. It was a fluke thing though. It took a couple of doctor visits to figure out the problem. I ended up with an infection and some additional pain. I took some antibiotics a different pain med and spent a day in the bed watching old movies.

All in all no problems and hey no more periods AND the lower back pain I had suffered with for years was instantly gone!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I just had a hysterectomy/bladder tact about 8 days ago. I think the hysterectomy was a breeze its the bladder tact that is giving me trouble. I believe if I only had the hysterectomy I would already be out and about.. But unfortunately I'm still having pain but I can tell its coming from my bladder.... Ugh
    jtklreese

Answer by jtklreese at 10:43 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I know this isnt the same but I had my tubes tied and I definitly cried,cause the husband wanted no more kids. If you get a hysterectomy you cant have kids period. I would rethink what your gonna have done and see if you can do something else.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 6:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2008