How would you do sit-ups if it's uncomfortable to do them on the floor?

I had back surgery when I was 12.5 yrs old and still have the rod in my back, but I wanna lose the baby weight and know sit-ups would probably work the best..but it's just uncomfortable laying flat on a floor..any suggestions?

SparklingHope

Asked by SparklingHope at 4:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Health

• It depends on where the rod is located in your back and how that affects your mobility. Sit ups are actually more effective as "mini crunches" no need to go all the way up or down.

That said, I would lay on a soft blanket with a small pillow in the arch of your low back, and place your feet with bended knees on a coffee table, with arms crossed (like a mummy), lift your torso as straight as possible upward as far as possible, hold for a second, then lower. Imagine being pulled up by a string from your belly button). Start with 3 sets of 10 reps, and increase reps depending on how you feel.

Modify (if possible), by keeping your torso on the floor, and raising and lowering bent and straight legs. If you can twist at the waist, then laying on the floor, with knees pointing up, let both knees fall to one side, and do mini crunches upward, then switch sides. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• What if you lay on something with a cushion? Like a mat or even a folded up comforter? I know there's other ways to simulate crunches with machines and whatnot, but you'd have to buy that or join a gym.
    bittrsweet81

Answer by bittrsweet81 at 4:14 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Would it be better on a bench or on several straight back chairs pushed together side by side and lie across them? Curls can be done sitting in a straight back chair. move to the front of the chair, lean backwards until your back just touches the back of the chair, keeping your tummy tight and rounding your back. Roll up to an upright position, and repeat.

Answer by Bmat at 4:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I am not in good health and if I got on the floor, I would have to get someone to get me up. This has happenned to me in the past. I wanted to lose my belly. I have a lot of orthopedic problems and the physical therapist said I could not do any situps at all. He suggested I do a modified version. I am to lie on my bed and my husband is to stand at the foot and hold my hands and pull me up in a situp position. It made me sore so it helped. And it didn't hurt me as bad as it used to.You just have to adjust your exercise according to your medical problems. I'm 56 

POMMOM335

Answer by POMMOM335 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• they make fold up mats that are great for this. I bought one online years ago and still use it. I saw one at Target the other day.
    littledozie

Answer by littledozie at 9:32 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• If you're trying to build up your core muscles, pilates or yoga will work better than sit-ups. They will work all of your abdominal muscles, while sit-ups only work a few. There are many levels of both pilates and yoga that can be modified for injuries.
    Crossfit also builds up your core muscles as well, but joining a Crossfit gym can be spendy.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 10:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2008