Do u think smoking around ur kids is a form of child abuse?

a form of child abuse is putting ur kids health and life at risk. when u smoke a cigarette or anything else around ur kid it harms their bodies, minds, lungs and hearts. It may also give them problems in their adult life. yet people still do it.. WHY? and do u believe its child abuse?

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/yourchild/shsmoke.htm

chrstny88

Asked by chrstny88 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• yea in a way i guess so....

i smoke but never around my son....it makes me so mad to see people in the cars and houses smoking with a young child right next to them.... second hand smoke is so bad and can cause cancer too.... we smoke outside or in the bedroom, which he doesnt go into.... i think they should make a law about it or something
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I don't believe it's child abuse per say...but I DO think it's a selfish, stinky, and low class habit to begin with. Besides there are PLENTY of other chemicals and pollutants in the air (ever driven behind a bus or tractor trailer or filled up your car at a gas station?) that IMO are more carcinogenic than cigarette smoke.
    Anonymous

• JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Do you REALLY think that by smoking in a different room in your house that your children are NOT affected or exposed to cigarette smoke?! WOW!
    Anonymous

• I see alot of debate on what child abuse is. Smoking around your children is not child abuse.
    Physical (e.g., failure to provide necessary food or shelter, or lack of appropriate supervision)
    Medical (e.g., failure to provide necessary medical or mental health treatment)3
    Educational (e.g., failure to educate a child or attend to special education needs)
    Emotional (e.g., inattention to a child’s emotional needs, failure to provide psychological care, or permitting the child to use alcohol or other drugs)
    That is child abuse along with physical abuse and sexual abuse.

Answer by gemgem at 4:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• by law its not child abuse.. but im askin if u think its harmful to a child n do U consider it child abuse
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 4:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• there are children that live in much worse environments than just a smokey house. My parents smoked and I am fine. I don't think you have a right to judge Julansmommy317. It may not be a choice that I would make, but as long as she loves her children and cares for them I don't think she is doing anything terribly wrong. She tries to keep it away from the kids. Thats more than some do. And smoking around a child is not child abuse. You talk to a social worker who has dragged a child out of a violent home and you see what they think about cigarette smoke being abusive.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Yes when you look at it that way. But then you can also say spanking your child is a form of child abuse (which to me, it is). There are many forms of child abuse, beckcorc- not just physical. Just because someone is not being beat up by their parents doesn't mean they aren't being abused in some other way. One type of abuse is not any less significant than another.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i didnt know you could compare spanking a child to damaging their lungs!
    WOW!
    Anonymous

• Of course it is! Its unhealthy & selfish!
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Yes.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 5:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2008