My daughter is 4 months old and has these crying fits. They are just like tantrums. She screams and archs her back. The only way I have found to fix it is by holding her but I can't hold her all day. She is also fighting sleep. Any suggestions on what to do?

Screaming baby!!!!!!

tara.schneider

Asked by tara.schneider at 4:35 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Arching her back sounds like she is in pain. Does she have problems with reflux or gas, or something else? Depending on what she's hurting from would depend on how I could tell you to help her.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 4:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Having these screaming fits and arching her back like that are not a temper tantrum. Sounds like she is in pain...maybe from gas? At this age they do not throw a fit just to throw one...there's always a reason for it.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like she could be colic (have gas). I would try using Mylicon drops for this. Be sure you are burping her well after she feeds also. My DD did not have this bad but when she did - she would scream like that too. Hope that helps you.
    VirgoMom807

Answer by VirgoMom807 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My son did the same thing. He has reflux, which made him really uncomfortable, especially if he was laying down. He would get stomach aches and want to nurse to soothe, but not want to nurse when I gave him the breast b/c it hurt his tummy. Try burping her while she lays across your lap on her belly, with her head/chest raised higher than the rest of her. Also see if it makes a difference if you let her play on her belly, instead of her back, because that reduces the acid that comes up her throat. If you think it could be reflux, you can PM me for more info if you'd like.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 4:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• my son did it and we finally figured out he gets bad tummy cramps/ gas bubbles (they're too young to be having 'temper tantrums') if you are bottle feeding, try to burp at 1 oz and let her feed slowly...and try to burp her twice off of each boob if you are breastfeeding. also, make sure if you have changed your diet if you are breastfeeding that she is not reacting to it - another culprit.. I use mylicon drops for gas relief and they work! Also, I have him on a wedge pillow in his crib (it is very firm and i have wedges on the sides of him) he LOVES it now! Good luck!
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• my daughter is 7 months nd she does the same thing nd she dont have gas. i do hold her but not for more then an hour. i give her 2 oz bottle nd a toy. it helps my daughter by playing music nd sitting on the ground playing. fighting sleep is what my daughter do once in awhile, what i found to help was rocking her with a bottle nd playing soft music, like whart she would hear when she was in the womb and it works.
    missphilly215

Answer by missphilly215 at 7:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My 5 month old does this when he gets over tired... I just wrap him up tight and snuggle him until he falls asleep. Some time he fights and cry the whole time... but I just keep at it because he is tired
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:42 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Thank you so much for everyones suggestions. She spits up quite a bit also. I feed her and she burps really good. I also use the Dr. Brown and Playtex ventair bottles that are supposed to help reduce colic but she still spits up. What are good ways to find out if it is gas or acid reflux?
    tara.schneider

Answer by tara.schneider at 10:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2008