Do you think it is hard to be young?

My dad used to tell me all the time that he didn't envy the young because it is harder now than ever to start out buying a home and building a career, especially with young children.

I'm 25, my SO is 27 and we're just finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. We've got a 3 year old and one on the way. Now that we're starting to actually have some money and are more settled in our lifestyle, I really understand what my dad was saying...it WAS hard. There were a lot of sacrifices. Aside from the idea of re-living the last 3 years with our daughter, you couldn't pay me to do it over again! lol

I'm interested to know other people's opinions...what do you find hardest to manage right now...and for those of you who have lived through it, what do you remember being hardest and at what point do you think things got easier?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Just for Fun

• It was hardest to work on family dynamics when I was younger because the older you get, the more easier it is to see and appreciate each and every one of your family members.
    Anonymous

• Well, the cost of an average 3br. 2ba. house in my city is well over $500,000. A decent 1br. apartment is about $1200/month. Add in the fact that a "simple" bachelor's degree only gets you MAYBE $30,000 a year and you've got a problem. So I'd pretty much say the cost of living is the hardest to manage right now. Needless to say, I won't be here my whole life!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I think its harder when youre younger because you are just getting into your life and trying to understand the world around you. Adding kids can make learning about life more difficult. Then of course financial issues, possibly having to struggle to complete an education so you can compete, or not getting one at all and it makes it harder. Im 37 and have to say life can still be hard but having older and younger kids I really appreciate the younger kids more then I did when the older ones were young because we struggled so hard when they were little.

Answer by gemgem at 5:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i think it depends on what particular part of being young you mean. being young and poor, or being young and reckless/no responsibility..its different for everyone, because no one has the same life. for me, being young was about figuring out who i was, not trying to make ends meet or buying a house..that part was easy. it got easier in my thirties when i realized i made myself who i was, circumstances/choices hadn't defined me but rather made me into the strong woman i am now, and i realized i didn't have to prove anything to anyone. seems like when you're young, you want to prove you can 'do it' (whatever that may be)..and that's where things can go awry. sooner or later, you realize 'doing' changes into 'becoming' and things are seen differently, sometimes from a better perspective.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 5:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2008