Do Christians cling to religious convictions because

it gives their life purpose? If theoretically, religious laws wanished, would there be mayham, lack of self control, and no personal discpline among the masses?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• No... I mean for me I am a Christan because of my spiritual relationship with God. I believe in what He gave me and I am thankful for that gift, using it as an example of the light and loving I want to share with the world. If my religion vanished, I am quite certain I would still have that relationship with something greater than myself. My convictions are in me an not a byproduct of my faith... But I feel stronger in them because of my relationship with God and the example He sets if that makes sense. Kinda a chicken egg thing :)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 5:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• no, to both questions, IMO. i believe people are of certain character by design, some by choice(which their 'religious convictions' may help keep in line), some by nature. there are plenty of people w/o religious convictions that are perfectly fine, ethically, upstanding citizens t hat i don't think would change any if religious laws vanished, since they live by choice to be good, rather than being scared or convicted w/religion.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 5:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• No. There are plenty of non-Christian people who still have a sense of values, morals, and personal responsibility. I think a lot of values and morals seem like they come from a particular religion, when they really are just...kind of like common sense. It's just something that you have. I think people, of any religion, cling to their convictions and beliefs b/c it is something that makes them feel secure, happy, connected.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• They cling to it because its tradition and they know no different nor desire to study beyond that.
    They cling to it because they've studied and feel its right for them.
    The cling to it because they fear what happens after this world is over and they have answers that satisfy them and give them more purpose in this life.

Any of those items stated above work in answer to your question. Ive seen all those answers given before and had them myself once upon a time.

With or without christianity people can have morals,etc.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 7:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I know what you are trying to say, and to some if religion was proved to be false, I think they would go completely crazy. But... there is also some prove that religions have some truth to them.. so I don't know how it would turn out.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:06 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I would say it's just years and years and years of conditioning. I think the reason why so many choose to break away from the "religion of their birth" is because they think outside the box and want to know more. I think most people know how to "be good" even without religious guidance.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:55 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• There is an inherent need in humans to find purpose in life so religion makes a lot of sense. Throughout history all cultures have created beliefs to explain their existence and the good and bad things that happen.
    And religion has served a great purpose of teaching people the right way to act within their culture.
    However, I don't think that everyone needs religion to know right from wrong and decide to live that way. On the other hand, some people do. If religion ceased to exist I think there would be a lot of unhappy people, but our culture has set moral standards that don't relate to any particular religion, so I don't believe we would descend into chaos. Morals do not specifically relate to religion.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 9:42 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Would there be mayham, lack of self control, and no personal discpline among the masses? Of course not, we are held in check much more by our social customs & institutions than religious belief in the Western world now a days.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I don't know anything about religion, so I couldn't tell you why people place thier faith in a religion: but a realtionship with God, I can tell you about ...

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Fear, I think. Fear that, if there isn't an all-powerful sugar-daddy in the sky taking care of them, then they are no different than any other animal on this earth. They need to feel special--more important than those animals. That's why they invent gods.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2008