Has anyone ever had to euthanize a pet?

I'm going to have to put down my agressive dog and I'm really torn up about it. Has anyone gone through the same thing?

tinykelsie

Asked by tinykelsie at 5:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Pets

• Have had too many times (I'm a rescuer) and it is awful and never gets any easier. Just know you are making the right choice not only for the safety of others but for the dog itself. Rehoming an aggressive dog is one of the most irresponsible and wrong things you can do, so you are most definitely going the correct route.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 8:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Yes. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• my friend has twins. her dog quietly growled at them once and then a few months later attacked her 14 month old. she obviously put him down but once she knew her baby was ok she cried for days because although what he did was wrong she still loved the dog for who he was (normally) and felt bad he had to die. im so sorry for what your going through
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 5:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My grandma did that to my dog that I had since I was about 4 or 5. I was 18 when she did it. He was very sick. :( I hate thinking about it.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I did in August 2007. It was really hard. I became depressed afterwards and lost 20 lbs.
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 6:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I have never done that. I think I would go nuts. Someone else would have to take my dogs to the vet. When my females had puppies and they died, I cried so hard. And they were just too little to live. We took them to the vet and tried to save them. And we fed them with a syringe.
    POMMOM335

Answer by POMMOM335 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I have put down a dog that got old and had bad health problems and a snake that had cancer in his reproductive organs. It wasn't easy either time...I miss them still.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 7:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• the law in many states puts down agressive humans. while it is not a fun thing to do, sometimes it is for the overall good. a dog, (whether yours or mine) is still an animal. I personally would not hesitate to destroy an agressive dog. What if the dog injured a child?
    Anonymous

• Have you tried finding the dog a home, perhaps in a non-child household. There are also rescue groups (for purbred dogs)
    Bobbysmommy324

Answer by Bobbysmommy324 at 9:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I've had to put down a kitty and it ripped out my heart. It was the worst experience in my life and I hope to never have to relive the guilt from it. She was so sick and dying of cancer and was struggling to breathe. It was so hard to see her in pain like that, ugh.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2008