Beagles

We have been researching small to medium dogs to add to our family, and DH has asked me what I thought about a beagle. I have reasearched them online and ordered a few books. Basically I want to know what you ladies think and what pros and cons you have seen or experienced with them. Thank you so much for your help.

vbongard

Asked by vbongard at 5:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Pets

• It seems like you have a lot of "con" answers, so I will try to give you some pro's.They are very smart,loving dogs. ALL dogs bark,most dogs need exercise,ALL dogs need to be trained. Since this breed is a hunting breed,you will need to teach him what to do and not to do.Like I said,they are smart.They are the perfect size for a house dog.They need to be able to exercise daily (as do other breeds).Yeah, they do bark/howl but teach him not to.Its all in the way you handle the dog and how strict you are in your training.with all dogs,the younger you train the better off every one will be. Good Luck and don't mark this breed off your list yet. Any more questions,come join my animal group.........The Animal Den
    SherriX2

Answer by SherriX2 at 2:32 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• They are very loving, very good with children but are a little "hyper" and jump up on small children. I think they're a good breed.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I have a beagle. If you live close enough you can have him! He is a sweet dog, but he gets into everything. Last night we got home and he'd knocked over a huge platter of Christmas cookies from the counter in the kitchen (which we thought he couldn't reach). He also knows how to open the refrigerator (we have a lock now) and he can get out of his crate if there is not something heavy on top.

I believe beagles are deceptively cute. They charm you with their cuteness but screw you with their mischievous ways.

However, he was great when we brought our son home from the hospital. They're pack dogs and mine is no exception - he loves when we're all together. Beagles do shed a great deal, and make sure you don't let him out without a leash or fenced yard - if they pick up a scent they're off.

Good luck!
    ErinMarie123

Answer by ErinMarie123 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• If you do get a beagle, be sure to get it from a reputable breeder. Beagles are VERY popular now and anybody that can is putting a male and a female together and selling the pups. No regard for the betterment of the breed for many of them, they're just after the quick buck. Make sure you know what you are getting into too. Beagles are naturally a little hyper, and they are NOISY! Other than that they are pretty loving little dogs with eyes that will melt your heart even when you want to wring their neck!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I will only add to what others have posted. Beagles are HOUNDS. They can make a lot of noisy for a small dog. They can and do howl at the moon, sounds of other ogs, sirens and mine howled when the baby cried. He now lives with my cousin..lol.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• They are HIGH energy dogs and need DAILY exercise at a minimum of an hour or so.....and that is not just running around the yard--that is YOU walking them.
    They are HOUNDS--they are meant to use their noses and will use them to get into everything!!!!!
    They can also be gluttons and will eat anything they can wolf down.
    I have nothing against the breed but I would never own one because of the two I know. They are cute and boyish type dogs---but they need A LOT of attention and supervision. And they make a lot of noise!!!
    Anonymous

• Escape artists, scent hounds... see or hear prey and they are on the hunt regardless of what they should be doing, they can escape from places you thought were secure very quickly!!
    AngieJ77

Answer by AngieJ77 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My nieces beagle jumped up on the counter top and grabbed a loaf of bread of the TOP of the fridge. Another time he hunted out some jerky my nephew was making and ate it all--with the hanging hooks in it--that cost $1400 for the operation. They are cute, but NO THANKS!!!
    Anonymous

• I have a beagle and he is my best friend. No matter where i am at he is always at my feet. Even though you can tell he is a mama's boy, he is a great addition to our family. He is a little hyper but since we have 3 girls that's fine because they all wear each other out. If you have patience and a lot of love to give this is a great breed for your family.

3lilangels917

Answer by 3lilangels917 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• they are smart dogs loud barks ( more like howling) hyper but in general good dogs Petsmart has trained these types of dogs and they will accept them from the ages 10 weeks old and up and like SherriX2 says don't cross this breed off your list and if you are strict with the training and don't back off of it you will have an amazing dog also with Petsmart training they allow the entire family to come and work with the dog for the dog to understand all in the family is the boss they re also a positive reinforcement curriculum so no negative
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2008