Question for BF moms...

I get the impression here that lots of moms who BF think they are better moms, more informed, or care more than moms who use formula. I see the harshest criticism on here. I can't believe the mean things people say about moms who don't nurse. I BF my son, but I don't think it makes me a better mom. I'm lucky to be able to nurse him, but I wouldn't feel guilty if I couldn't and I think he'd still be happy and healthy.

Do other BF moms feel the same way I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that many of the moms on here are awful! I breastfeed my son.. but that was my choice... if someone formula feeds their baby that is their choice and I see nothing wrong with it at all.
    And formula... unlike what many of the moms on here would like you to think is NOT poison! It's not a form of child abuse LOL
    The thing that pisses me off the most is the RUDE comments coming from anonymous posters... if you feel so strongly about something you should have the guts to put your face and name to it....
    Other stupid comments... suggesting that if they breastfeed their baby they wouldn't be sick, or wouldn't have tummy troubles or wouldn't have weight issues or whatever... they are all WRONG and uneducated!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:19 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Nope, I think I have one up on mom's who formula feed, and that's coming from someone who used formula with my first baby.
    Breast milk has wonderful healing properties. When my baby was about a week old, she had a clogged tear duct. I took her to the doctor and she prescribed her some medicine. Said it could take UP TO A YEAR to have it cleared up. This didn't sound good to me. I went home, got on-line and asked other moms what I should do. They said to put breast milk in her eye. I did, and it cleared up OVER NIGHT. Bet formula wouldn't do that. ;)
    Breast is best and there is no arguing that.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• lol you opened a can of I am better than you worms good luck ....formula mom here

Anonymous

• its not that i think that i am better for bf my daughter i just don't see why women wouldn't its easier and way most cost effective by far. and i know somone is going to say well i tried and i couldn't yeah you could its called being lazy back in the old days you didn't have formula to fall back on you bf. i just feel like it is better in everyaspect for the baby. after bf my dd for a lil over a year i would never bottle feed any baby i have.
    zimmtobe

Answer by zimmtobe at 6:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Its easy to say formula moms are being lazy when your baby latches on easily and everything goes the way the way it's supposed to.

My son was born early and wouldn't latch for a variety of reasons.  After him not eating and losing weight and being told by LLL that he wouldn't be able to BF he did eventually latch on.  I firmly believe the reason I was able to nurse him was because I didn't follow the advice of experts and followed my own instincts. I knew that if he needed a bottle to eat he should get a bottle.  If I had listened to people online and the LLL he never would have latched and would have been on formula in a matter of weeks. 

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Every time I nurse him (he's 16 months old) I think of how lucky I am. I have a close friend who situation was similar to mine, but her daughter never did latch. She is just as good a mom as I am and loves daughter just as much as I love my son.

It's easy to judge moms who make different decisions than we do, but it's just not my place. I suppose if I saw a post saying, "I just didn't care so I didn't nurse.." I would say that person was lazy. But since 99% of the moms here tried to nurse or had reasons for not nursing I am not going to think I'm better than anyone.

MAUREEN55

• I think formula or breast as long as you are providing proper nutrition for your child it's fine .
    I am a breast feeding mom , I will tell every mom breast is best and try to help them if they want to learn more about breastfeeding . But I wouldn't look down on someone for choosing to use formula .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• We're talking about things within the scope of normal parenting ... yes I made a better choice than they did. Does that one choice make me a better parent overall? Of course not. I do find most of the reasons people CHOOSE formula to be completely selfish (notice I use the word CHOOSE, that means if you didn't choose it, and had to use it, this doesn't apply to you). Now, is there anything wrong with making the occasional selfish choice? Of course not. You can be a good parent and make a selfish choice every now and again, but when something is such a huge part of parenting a child as what they're fed is, I do question the choice.
    Anonymous

• Lol I feel the same way, I get criticized all the time by people because my 1 year old daughter was not breast fed. Unfortunately somehow I didn't produce milk, but everyone always tells me that I should have breast fed my daughter but I guess people are just to damn stupid to understand that sometimes it's just not possible. My daughter is pretty healthy only time she got sick was from a stomach flu which we all caught. So for all u moms out there who think you are better moms just because u bf maybe you should all just mind your own business.
    iri24

Answer by iri24 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I formula feed and I just noticed someone said its easier? With my life style its by far not easier... it may work great for some moms but I was back to work 4 weeks after giving birth and I am so not comfortable with nudity... to me thats a very personal thing and my b/f and I just go out and about to much. That was two of my reasonings behind not doing it. Had I been a stay at home mom and wasnt such a busy body or felt comfortable with doing it in public I probably would of.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 6:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2008