had a cesarian cant breastfeed help?

im 31 years old I had my son cessarian and cant breastfeed hes 2 weeks old i feel like im less of a mother im dealing with post partum depression help!

-mrs.LLindell

Asked by -mrs.LLindell at 6:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• Why can't you breast feed? What are the problems? You need to get in touch with a lactation consultant.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Don't feel bad about it. Dot the best you can and keep trying. It took my son over a week to latch and even the LLL said he wouldn't BF, but he did. It think it was because I was patient and didn't put too much pressure on us. Can you pump and give him breast milk?

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• wow,you sound like me! But I had a daughter.I was 31,had a c-section and couldn't nurse.I also had ppd bad.I felt so crappy that I couldn't nurse.But you know what?My daughter got fed anyway,just not by my breasts.Don't feel like a failure! I beat myself up for 2 years because I could not breast feed( I had many reasons why I couldn't-won't get into them)If your child is healthy,growning,eating don't sweat the details.Really,it's not worth it.You just have to get to a place where you can let it go.(((hugs))) And don't pay any attention to all the mama's that criticize you for "not trying" "giving up" or whatever.They don't wear your shoes!
    mamaslilpunkin

Answer by mamaslilpunkin at 6:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• It certainly is not too late to breastfeed. It took about a week for my milk to even come in after my section. If you want to bf, you shouldnt give up.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Of course you can breastfeed, uless the surgeon did something wrong and ytook your breasts off when he took the baby.

Please, find a lactation consultant STAT. Two weeks is NOTHING. Had it been two months or more, there might have been an issue. But you CAN do this if you want!

Answer by gdiamante at 6:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• You can breast feed if you really want to BUT its not vital. I felt like s*&T too b/c I my son was "failing to thrive" and almost went to the hospital. I can't produce enought milk (breast reduction) no matter what it did. NOT only did I feel like less but I was sooooooo jealouse of those who could. BF is not easy (watching me go throught the toture helped my mother feel better about never having been able to follow thru on bf with me ) so my kid(s) were part bf and part form (mostly formula).
    Wanna know a secret??? When you see a bunch of kids at the park you can't tell who got BF and who got Form. but you can tell whose mom loves them and does the best she can for them.

I know its hard but that is also normal after having a baby much less with a c-section. I had totally natural and seriously, until I saw some video, I could barely remember the first few weeks.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I struggled to breastfeed my oldest. I had him vaginally, and gave breastfeeding a try. I didn't/couldn't bond with him until I started giving him formula. The pain was unbearable...and it wasn't my nipples hurting, either. I didn't want to be in the same room with him any longer because I knew he would want to nurse...and I couldn't stand the thought of it...and dealing with the pain. I wanted nothing to do with him.

I switched to formula and it was like a switch went off. I finally loved him. I finally wanted to hold him and I finally felt like a mother.

Not being able to breastfeed (for any reason) does not make you any less of a mom.

If you want to continue trying to breastfeed, get with a lactation specialist. If you're feeling depressed, get with your doctor. You have to take care of YOU, too.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:25 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Every mom has struggles and every mom has victories. We need to treasure the good things and remember them for the times we are up against difficult times. You are a new mom so you are starting out on a rocky road and you don't have alot of confidence yet...but you will! You are a competent mom to care for the baby who is yours. First, take care of yourself. Make sure you are seeing a doctor and a counselor to combat the depression. Get help to care for your baby if you need it. Believe me, there will be times you will look back on this and be able to comfort and encourage another mom because you made it through. Keep reaching out and keep alert for your successes because they are there if you look!
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I am suprised the BF nazis havent found this question yet & are telling you what an inferior mother you are! lol
    Yeah line up 20 kids who are about 10 yrs old & pick out the breastfeed ones. You cant. You love your baby & you are feeding the baby. Enjoy the baby. Dont beat yourself up over what you cant do & do what you can do.
    Anonymous

• Can you pump instead? My little one was preemie and couldn't breast feed but she could bottle feed so I pumped and fed her breastmilk via the bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Dec. 28, 2008