are family members obligated to buy your children christmas gifts

i wasn't able to go to my family for the holidays and my aunt sent my cousin down to my house with the gifts that was given to my children. when i look through the gifts i notice some family members that usually buy the kids gifts didn't buy any. i 'm really started to feel some type of way but i said thats not the purpose of celebrating christmas but when i called the ones that didn't give my children gifts and said i have thier gifts here at the house for them they said oh that's ok don't worried about it . i feel like i shouldn't went out my way to buy them gifts if they weren't going to get the children any what do you think? and also to add a couple of months ago i was muslim and they know i'm not muslim no more and i did have a falling out because i didn't show up for my uncle funeral and i had reason because my aunt his widow didn't want me there because i was muslim at the time.

momwa6

Asked by momwa6 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Holidays

• Yes, unfortunately, that is the problem alot of people run into. I told everyone this year and last, I am only buying for my children, my grandkids, my husband, or course and I did get something for my parents. That way, they all understand up front. I made that announcement in October of last year, so they all knew.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 6:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I think who buys for the kids is up to them. My family knows we only buy for the kids and only small gifts for adults. My aunts & cousins dont always buy for my kids & I dont always buy for theirs. With the economy being what it is I think your kids getting any gifts was probably a very fortunate thing. Maybe try seeing it that way. There were kids who got nothing.
    Next year I would just make an announcement of some sort saying who you are buying for and find out whose not buying so you can make plans accordingly. Some confusion might also have come from your change of faith. I know you told everyone but maybe some didnt get the memo.

Answer by gemgem at 6:12 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I think you missed the point of Christmas. No has to buy anyone gifts.
    Anonymous

• i understand that they don't have to and in no way am i being selfish. the one i had the falling out with is the ones that didn't get the kids a gift. which is my aunt his widow his daughter and his son and law. my other uncle and his kids didn't either but i got a call from my cousin asking me in advance what sizes are the kids so i figure if she is asking me for sizes then she was getting them a gift. . i'm not press about gifts so yall don't think thats the way i'm coming off i got them gifts myself with the help of god but i'm just saying if they wasn't going to get them one i could of use that money for something else you agree
    momwa6

Answer by momwa6 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Why would you leave islam and how long were you muslim?
    Anonymous

• for over a year and i just say it's not for me i believe that it's more of a cultre then a religion because of the rulses that are require for obtainning heaven i believe that christanity is for me and the way to go for me i can't question everyone else.
    momwa6

Answer by momwa6 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• nobody is ever obligated to buy a gift for anyone whether it is for children or not. And dont feel negativly about having gifts for those who did not buy gifts for your family, because you got them those items because you thought it would be something nice for them, that would bring them joy. Give them their gifts still not to make them feel guilty but to so they know you care about them. I know it can be annoying and hurtful when others, especialy family keep you out of the loop but keep being the mature one in the relationship =)
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 7:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

•  I definitly  agree w/ anonymous .You did miss the point of Christmas. We did exchange gifts. We bought for the grands & great-grands Gave the kids money.BUT, ABOVE ALL ELSE WE CELEBRATED THE BIRTH OF JESUS.WE HAVE A CAKE / 1 CANDLE,SING HAPPY BIRTHDAY  & THE GRANDS READ THE ABOUT THE  BIRTH OF JESUS FROM THE BIBLE.WE'VE DONE THIS FOR YRS. THE GRANDS LOOK FORWARD TO THIS.

openarmsmammaw

Answer by openarmsmammaw at 8:34 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Absolutely not.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:34 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My family and friends are NEVER obligated to buy my children gifts. Even when I invite them over for birthday I make sure they know that gifts are not required and that their presence is more then enough gift. If they bring something we accept it graciously and if they bring nothing that is fine, too. They still get cake and we still enjoy the day. Same goes for Christmas. I'm trying to teach my kids that special occasions aren't about gifts but about being together.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2008