Neonatal jaundice...please help

On christmas eve, my newborn baby boy had his first doctor's appointment. He was born at 37 weeks because the fluid level dropped. Well, when we went to the appointment the doctor noticed his skin was yellowish and his eyes (the white part) was yellowish too. He told me to go down to the hospital to have him tested and if the test came back high we would have to hospitalize him and has to be put in special lights. Well, we tested him and it came back good and he instructed me to put him by the window so the sun can hit him for an hour (3 times a day). But that's like impossible because since its cold and cloudy here he only gets an hour of sun (one time). What else can I do? How can I tell if he's improving? This is my first baby and he is 9 days old. Advice is welcome and if you have experienced this with your baby please tell me your story. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was always told to make sure to make sure the feedings were frequent and plentiful to assure the baby's body was flushing out regularly. My baby was also born at 37 weeks and I was also sent to the hospital at her first check up for test. It came back normal level too. Just keep feeding lots and lots!
    rai.of.sunshine

Answer by rai.of.sunshine at 7:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• yes just make sure he is pooping well and look at his eyes if they are getting yellow call your Doc but dont worry he will be fine

Anonymous

• If you're nursing, nurse nurse nurse nurse. The fluid pushes out the bilirubin. Same with formula, actually...plenty of feedings.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My boys both had VERY high billirubin levels (jaundice). Coincidentally, my older one was delivered at 37 wks too, because my amniotic fluid was low. My older one was hospitalized for 4 days (he was 2-6 days old) following blood work to test his levels. He was placed in an incubator under special UV lights. He was under the lights CONTINUOUSLY-- except for feedings. Our hospital provided a bed for me so I could stay with him the entire time.

My younger son was allowed to have the phototherapy at home using home medical equipment that our hospital arranged for us--a Koala Blanket. His levels weren't as high as my older sons, and so he was only under the lights for 2 1/2 days.

Even though it's cloudy, your child can still benefit from the UV rays that are constant emitted. I parked my younger sons bassinet/play yard next to a window in our family room, and kept him there as much as possible.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I would call the doc back and ask to get uv lights for home if the levels aren't coming down. Mine had it at birth--40 weeks. Her levels weren't high enough to warrant the photo therapy. Just make sure that the baby stay hydrated b/c jaundice can make them sleepy. The more they eat the more they poop and the faster they get the bilirubin out or their body.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:40 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My baby was born at 36 weeks. When we left the hospital, his bilirubin was 6, two days after we came home, it was 13. We took him to the ER, and they did tests, but they said they dont worry until it hits 14. I had bad luck with clouds too, but just remember, even though its not bright, the suns rays still go through the clouds... so just set him by the window anyways.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2008