My two year old does not want to give up nursing what to do ? I need some suggestions.

genna71

Asked by genna71 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How often does the child nurse ?
    I would begin by cutting out non essential nursing . I imagine at 2 it is mostly for comfort at this point. If it is for comfort only you are the best judge of what sessions yu can easily remove . Bedtime is the hardest one for most children to give up - try eliminating everything but that and see how it goes .
    My daughter nursed until 23 months 3 weeks 4 days - I just explained that she no longer needed to drink mommies milk because she could get it from a cup instead , she willingly stopped the nursing but still cuddled to sleep in my arms for about 8 weeks once we stopped the breast .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Is there a reason you want him to give it up? Parent lead weaning is a lot of work. Child led is so much easier...and they all do give up nursing when they are ready to.

If you want to lead it, drop one feeding per week till gone, starting with the least preferred and working from there.

One word to the wise...only thing weaning "fixes" is that you're no longer breastfeeding. Everything else? Remains the same. I mention this because a lot of moms are shocked to find their child still doesn't sleep well at night. Sleeping is a separate issue.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I would let him nurse!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 5:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Children have a built-in instinct of when nursing is no longer needed. Our milk and the act of nursing provides so much more than simply superior nutrition. Not only is there love and comfort, but continual building and growth of your child's brain and immune system. If your little one is still needing to nurse, there is a reason for it. Relax, enjoy this time, and remember that they are only this little once!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 6:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2008