Hand-Foot-Mouth Disease

Has anyones children had hand-foot-mouth disease? if so, what is it? what are the symptoms? how long does it last? please help!

ang0343

Asked by ang0343 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• never heard of it
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 7:11 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Ha Ha. It went around my daughter's daycare, but my girls didn't get it. Instead my hubby got it which is pretty rare for an adult and normally makes it worse. It normally results in blisters on either the feet, hands, or mouth(throat) and can cause a fever. It goes away on its own in about a week, I believe.
    Gem0614

Answer by Gem0614 at 7:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My nephew just had this as did a few kids in daycare. He had huge nasty VERY PAINFUL blisters in his mouth and on the bottoms of his toes. It must be diagnosed by a doc and needs attention as it can be very dangerous. hope You little one doesn't have it, it was so sad.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 7:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• It is a very common childhood ailment caused by the cocksackie virus. Sores (look like blisters) form on the palms of the hands, bottom of the feet and in the mouth. The big things to watch out for are dehydration & rapid weight loss b/c a child will refuse anything by mouth if the mouth sores are real bad. There is no treatment, so you just have to wait it out; however it typically resolves itself within a week or two. If dehydration becomes a problem, then the child may need IV fluids. My son picked this up at camp this past summer & he was just miserable for about a week.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• It is miserable. You can only get it once, like the chicken pox, from what I understand. My niece and sister went through it. The PP is right, there isn't a treatment, you just have to go through it. It looks awful...blisters on the hands feet and mouth. My sister was able to get some numbing mouth wash that helped a little bit with the pain.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My son has never had it but a friends daughter had it when she was about 7 months. I don't know if it is true or not but the little girls mom told me that the doctors said it was a mild form of herpes that would go away on it's own and just to not kiss her or touch anything she's had in her mouth. Sounds kind of weird to me but I have no idea.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 9:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Once the blisters appear they are no longer contagious. When they have the fever they are which appears about a week before the blisters show up.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My daughter got it. Like the "cold", there are several versions so you can catch it more than once.
    The main symptom is painful little blisters on the palms, soles, and inside the mouth. You can get one, two, or all three. And they are PAINFUL. Do not hesitate to give pain meds. Other than that, the symptoms are similar to a cold.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• OH YES. I have 3 kids ( all teenagers now), but they all had it a couple of times when they where younger and i even caught it. it's a virus. It's little bumps or sores on the palms of the hands, in the mouth ( and on the tounge) and on the bottom of the feet. Hence the name....hand,foot and mouth . They are painful and sometimes itchy. Not much you can to except take Benadryll for the itch and let it run it's course. Keep soft sock on the feet and try to keep surfaces clean the kids may touch. it's passed on like a cold. Good Luck
    PurpleJewelz

Answer by PurpleJewelz at 1:05 AM on Dec. 28, 2008