Soda in a baby bottle?

It always upsets me when I see toddlers carrying around a bottle with hawaiian punch or soda in it. I mean, c'mon people....ever hear of diabetes? Obesity? Why do so many parents think that this is ok?

mdrgator10

Asked by mdrgator10 at 9:53 AM on Aug. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• At a clinic where I used to work we used to see at least two kids a week whose teeth were completely rotted out from Mt Dew in their bottles. The worst cases were those where the kids never even fully GOT their baby teeth as they'd rotted in the jaw.

In our case it was an education issue; many mothers were very young with poor or non-existent prenatal care so they had no idea this was inappropriate. Hard to believe, but true
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 9:56 AM on Aug. 23, 2011

• I hate that so much. I was with my kids at the mall one day and we saw a child, probably 4-5 years old, still walking around with a pacifier. My 3 y/o ran up to her and said "hey girl, you're not a baby, take that thing out". I know it was rude, but I just couldn't help LMBO.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 10:00 AM on Aug. 23, 2011

• Because they are MORONS!!
    misanthropic

Answer by misanthropic at 9:54 AM on Aug. 23, 2011

• I actually get more concerned about their teeth rotting out before they even get to school

Answer by gemgem at 9:55 AM on Aug. 23, 2011

• I'm sorry but even poor uneducated people know soda rots your teeth and is BAD for you. It's lazy parenting, and bad parenting please don't make excuses for these idiots.
    MetalMommy2010

Answer by MetalMommy2010 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 23, 2011

• Because they're stupid! Not only can it do all of the above that u just mentioned, but it can also rot the hell out of their teeth.
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 9:58 AM on Aug. 23, 2011

• It is true alot of young moms dont know. My dd had her son in high school and she was in a program to help educate young moms on how to mother their kids. I thank God every day she had that program. One of her friend did not go to it and also had a baby. She had her dd over with Sun Drop in her tippy cup. I asked her if she knew that could cause her teeth to rot. She had no idea. You have to remember not all teen moms have the support and advice of their parents, so they really dont know. They figure if they drink something it is alright for their kids. And I would never call them stupid. That is so judgmental and not a way to get across to them.

Answer by gemgem at 10:05 AM on Aug. 23, 2011

• Omg dumb!! I sad a lady pushing her 4yr old in a strollers and then she stopped and poured Pepsi in a bottle and gave it to him..
    Blessed_mom1102

Answer by Blessed_mom1102 at 9:56 AM on Aug. 23, 2011

• @Brawnwyn WOW. That is just so sad. How much education do you need to know that this is just not ok? Especially with all of the publicity that health and nutrition gets these days. Like I mentioned in another post, I guess some people just suck at parenting, or they really like Mountain Dew...
    mdrgator10

Comment by mdrgator10 (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Aug. 23, 2011

• Gem Gem is really spot on. These girls had no support system, were in a relatively remote and socially isolated location and were often children of children themselves. It's hard to believe, I know, that some people aren't educated or don't see television much or don't have public health facilities but they are a lot more common than you'd think.

It's sad, really
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 10:09 AM on Aug. 23, 2011