2 month old teething

My 2month old is teething, is it ok to give her baby orajel even though on the label it says infants 4months and up?

_mommy2b08_

Asked by _mommy2b08_ at 7:32 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would ask a doctor but usually they put that on there as a better be safe then sorry thing. Like baby tylenol... my baby could have it at very young age because shes a chunker and thats usually what they go off is weight.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 7:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• She weighs 13 lb. 13 oz which is pretty big for a 2 month old (according to her ped. he says that she weighs more than 94% of the babies her age.) But I tried calling her ped. and since its Saturday there's no On-call nurse today, and shes fussing and crying and attacking her bottle- she wont even finish drinking it at all. She usually drinks 5oz and since this started shes been drinking 1-2 1/2 oz.
    _mommy2b08_

Answer by _mommy2b08_ at 7:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I usually did the homeopathic tablets (worked metter than oragel for me). YOu could also ask the pharmasist at the local drug store (sometimes they know even more thant he drs about what is safe to use etc.)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:42 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i used orajel when my son was two months and like yours he was in the 95th percentile in size...but i didn't feed him right after for the fact that it could numb their throat and make swallowing difficult
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My pediatrician told us not to use oragel at all with our boys. If you're not super careful, you can end up numbing too much of their mouths and when you try to feed them, they could choke if their tongue and/or throat is numb.

Give tylenol/motrin. We had good luck with teething tablets, too. Put a wet washcloth in the freezer for a bit and let her chew on it. Teething rings in the fridge work for some....ours had to be room temperature, though.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• You can also try pieces of a sponge w/o the scrubby side, wet and frozen and let your LO chew on them
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I don't want to get bashed for this but we use a little bit of whiskey instead of orajel, b/c it worked better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• No! it says 4months plus for a reason...Because like all other meds you have for her if by accident you feed her too much she can get poisoning.I'm not saying you would do that..I'd wait to see what her pediatrician says.
    babylover08417

Answer by babylover08417 at 6:21 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• my baby has also been teething since he was 2mths and my doctor as well as both of my sister in-laws doctors say its ok to give a 2mth old baby oragel. just try to minimize how often you give it . i only use it a couple time a day.
    JENMAGS

Answer by JENMAGS at 12:07 PM on Jan. 9, 2009