Pumping Milk and storage ?

I've never pumped and fed my kids the milk , always exclusively breastfed , but I am thinking I would like to have a date night with my husband and am not keen on giving my 3 month old formula - so I might try pumping .
Because I don't know how much I will be able to pump I wondered if it is okay to pump what I can over a 12 hour period and continue adding the new milk to the storage bottle in the fridge , and then freeze it .. or is this not recommended?

Meshell7

Asked by Meshell7 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am the pumping queen--exclusively for 6 months now. Yes you can add milk to milk that is already in the fridge. And then freeze when you believe that it is enough. You can also freeze fresh milk from the breast. Make sure that you containers are clean, but they don't need to be sterile since your LO is over 2 months old. If you have any questions please let me know. Enjoy your night out.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• It is not safe to add warm body temperature milk to cold fridge milk, but you can keep in seperate containers in the fridge untill they are all cold and then mix and freeze in the same bag. My daughter was a nicu baby and didn't get on the boob till after one month so I am a pumping pro.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Freeze seperately into those lil bags or sterile containers and defrost as needed.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:09 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• You can add warm milk to already cold milk as long as what you add is less than the cold amount. They recommend that if you're going to freeze it you should chill it first before putting it in the freezer. I didn't always do that and a couple of times when I thawed the milk out it seemed to have spoiled. Have fun on your night out!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:35 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• if u want to add breastmilk to cold Breastmilk u have to have them both the same temp. ive always had a few bags of bmilk in the freezer for those just in case somthing happens.u should start to pump on a regular basis and store,might come in handy down the road
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• The best way to pump is to feed the baby on one side, and pump on the other. It's much easier to get letdown this way. From what I've read, it's best to chill all the milk before mixing it together. Most grocery stores sell breastmilk storage bags..I use Lansinoh. I highly recommend using the bags, it's much easier to defrost than the containers. Also, freeze in small quantities. 3 or 4 oz is a good size. Because once it is defrosted, it can stay in the fridge for around 8 hours and still be good, but it cannot be refrozen. And I know I sure hate seeing good breastmilk go to waste. Good luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 12:39 AM on Dec. 28, 2008