what would you say or do if your 13 year old pierced their lip or any part with out asking you?

my sis did and my mom didnt do anything. i would of removed it and grounded her! if she was my child.

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 8:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think in this day and age parents need to be aware of all the "hip" things teens are into and address them with their children as they become tweens instead of hoping the topic doesn't come up.

If the topic is discussed ahead of time, their opinions are listened to, and your rules on the matter are out in the open, then there shouldn't be too many surprises down the road. If the child disobeys after the parent's say about it has been made clear, then they shouldn't be surprised by the consequences.

Kids of all ages need to be monitored in this day and age, especially if they go off for hours at a time. You need to know where they go, who they are with, and what they are doing. Kids do not act like kids anymore - they experiment with dangerous things now.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• well let me tell you what i did when my daughter was like twelve and had a friend pierce her belly button. i accidentally found out about it and gave her fifteen minutes to get it out or i was going to rip it out . and if i saw it again that i would definitely rip it out. i had no other problems with piercings. now she is seventeen and has her belly pierced and her nose. she still wanted them she came to me the proper way and i took her to get them done/
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I agree with the OP...I would have made them take it out for sure, possibly grounded them.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I would have to wonder why at 13 year old was not supervised in the first place. I knew where my children were at all times. It wouldn't have happened. Ask my kids, I was a stalker! LOL!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 8:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I'd probably say thats cool... what made you decided to do that... let them answer and say aaahhh did it hurt? did you do it yourself... see what they say and then ask them why they decided not to ask you first. Piercings are not that big of a deal... they come out and they heal and can go away... but the not asking first is what gets me.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 8:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I dont know how I would feel about it. I pierced my own ears when I was ten. My parents were mad but didnt make me remove them or anything. But that really didnt teach me much I guess because I ended up piercing my own belly button when I was 14.
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 9:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• What I would be most concerned about is a possible infection. Was it done professionally? I would also have made her remove it and grounded her as well as taken away other privileges. I wanted my belly button done when I was 16--mom said no not as long as I lived under her roof. She also threatened other things I don't remember what they are--it has been awhile. I would ask your parents why they didn't do anything as well?
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• i would have got the person that did it get in some seriouse trouble because as off 2002 anyone under 16 needs a parent there...
    Anonymous

• she did it in bathroom herself at home
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 9:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I'd probably think it was cool. Of course I would ask who did it and if it was just some friend with a needle i'd make sure they kept it clean so it didn't get infected and they wouldn't have to take it out. I have no problem with piercings or tattoos, if my son wants to go through with getting it done then he can keep it. I can't tell him no when I have 12 of them myself and they're just piercings they heal up and the hole is gone if you take the jewelry out.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 9:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2008