Baby screams during bowel movement... help

My little one is only 9 days old. He has always had loose bowel movements that are green in color. Which everyone says is normal. The last 2 days or so he has been screaming bloody murder when he poops. I havent changed his formula or anything. I am not sure if he has diarreah (spelling) or what. I plan on calling the nurse line to see what they have to say but I wanted to know what other moms think.

ncarter24

Asked by ncarter24 at 9:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it might be his formula or u might have to give him gas drops but it sounds like his formula has to much IRON in it... my son went through it when he cam home
    Anonymous

• Mine still does it at 6 months. You just have to let them learn to handle it as hard as it is to watch you child scream. It could be gas.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Ahh the formula dance, which one is 'right' for my baby? Have you tried breastfeeding because that will fix the belly problems almost instantly? If you are looking for what is compatible for baby breastmilkis the answer. When it comes to formula what you are experiencing is normal most look for the one that causes the least amount of discomfort. This is one of the many reasons why formula is to be used as a medical intervention. Formula is VERY tough on an infants digestive tract.  Good Luck and know that you still have the ability to relactate.

Anonymous

• why do people have to preach about BF
    Anonymous

• hey I'm right there with ya and my son is on breast milk! he has gas like CRAZY! so breast milk doesn't fix it :) Tell me if ya find any answers to help!
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Well if it helps... I tried to Breastfeed and he is not taking to it. And right now I cant afford a breast pump. I have an appointment to talk to WIC on monday to pump. He has gas and he passes it just fine (trust me) its just when he poops.
    ncarter24

Answer by ncarter24 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Is there anyway anyone could help you now with getting baby to breast? Have you tried some of the groups here on cafemom? Have you read about and watched latching and positioning? Here is an article to help get you started. You will never regret it and it is the best thing to help baby naturally. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/basics/latch-resources.html

Anonymous

• my son does the same thing its because of his fornula he has to have soy cause he is allergic to everything else my ped said to give him pear joice with half water 2 times aweek and it works but he still grunt wich is nornmal the jucie has to be gerber in the baby section
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• 2 things:1.bf is not a miracle cure and do not let anyone pressure u into thinking that.2.it is not true that iron always is the cause of constipation(wives tale, I just asked doc this earlier in wk). He may be raw and the poop burns? try putting something like desitin or another creme around his anus in between poops to sooth and protect. i'd like to hear what happens...
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My daughter does that...i talked to her doctor. She told me either use adult prune or baby pear juice. Diluted with water, of course. Is his poo hard? My DD's poo got really hard. Good Luck
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 1:05 AM on Dec. 28, 2008