Suggestions for new baby and spoiled house dog????

My dd is expecting her first baby in May and she has a 4 year old pomeranian. He has been very jealous of the new boxer that they got in June and is always snarling at her and tearing up her toys. What are some good suggestions to get him ready for the new arrival? We are thinking if it dont work out that he may have to come back and live with grandma where he lived b4 dd got married in 2007.

twarmymm

Asked by twarmymm at 9:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cmon mommies out there..........we always had outside dogs when I had children and I really need some suggestions for this one. He is a part of her family but we are worried he will be mean to the new baby, or tear up the toys, and I wanna know what yalls experiences were. I know some of you young mommies had housedogs. I really dont wanna end up with this dog at my house but I dont want him to go anywhere else either if they have to get rid of him. And he really is my dd's baby right now so she would miss him also. She got him for graduation when he was only 5 weeks old.
    twarmymm

Answer by twarmymm at 9:38 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• dd needs drastically reduce her time/attention to her dogs. Not treat them bad-just treat them like dogs. Because if dog is already jealous--probs w/a baby are not far behind.Something She can do is cover a baby blanket in poder the baby will use and begin carrying it around like a baby. the dog will get used to the smells and also dd giving attn to something else. u could also play a tape of a newborn crying as it freaks dogs out till they get used to it. Good luck nana!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• What Bearsjen said is good start treating them like animals start training him to ignore loud sudden noises. Have the dog spend more time outdoors so when you need to pay full attention to the baby you can just kick the dog outside and have him be fine with it. And always make sure after the baby is born when you walk in the door the first thing you do is pay attention to the baby and then the people in the house, this will teach the dog that the humans especially the baby is dominant over the dog. GL!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• ur dog will act different to a baby then to the other dog,he may even become a little posesive of baby.and he may run to baby when she cries.just try to take time to pet the dog so she doesnt feel like she is being replaced
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• thanks.......good suggestions.............he does spend a good bit of time outside because hubby used to put him out most of the day cuz he was on night shift and he didnt want to hear him barking at noises all day while he slept............my mil already suggested the baby powder scent to get him used to a baby smell...............that is a good idea about the loud noises also.............so any of you out there that have gone through this and can tell what you did or how the dog did react when the new baby came home???
    twarmymm

Answer by twarmymm at 4:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2008