• In the Spotlight:

Inducted labor vs. natural??

I'm 38 wks pregnant and I've been put on bedrest for the rest of my pregnancy because of high BP, and excessive water weight/swelling (pregnancy-induced hypertension and edema). I think they are going to talk to me about getting induced if nothing improves by Monday (my next appt).
I have been planning all along to go into labor naturally and no drugs etc etc etc.

But if I have to get induced, I want to know how much more does it hurt than going into labor naturally?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 9:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• With my older dd I was induced with pitocin, due to excess amniotic fluid. The contractions with her were much more painful than with my younger dd. With younger dd, I didn't even need drugs since it was a cake walk compared to my first labor.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 9:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• it dont hurt any more than natural labor......other than the shot they give u, unles sthey give u a pill
    Anonymous

• I started into labor naturally with my water breaking--but not dilating. Started Pitocin a few hours later and by the time I hit 7 cm they decided I needed a c section. The pit made my contraction much worse, but I don't think that I really know the difference. I almost made it w/o an epidural (c-section sort of requires it). LOL
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:23 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I'm 39 weeks and will be induced on Tuesday- this is my second child. The first I started contractions on my own- but wasn't dilating so they gave me Pitocin anyway. So basically, I will have been induced with both. I honestly diodn't think it was painful the first time, but I had an epi. The labor was long though. I wanted to wait this time- but I've had contractions now for a month, I'm just not dilating yet again! Good luck to you.
    meegs23

Answer by meegs23 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I was induced because of preeclampsia at 36 weeks. They started me on pictocin at 8 am and broke my water at 11. I had my son before 6pm after a relatively easy labor. I know my experience isn't typical for being induced, but it was a really easy delivery. I pushed through 2 or 3 contractions and there he was!

Of course waiting for it to happen naturally is what you want, but sometimes that's just not a good idea. I think alot of how your labor goes is the attitude you have going into to.  Don't worry about it, you're going to have a baby soon either way!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I was induced using cervidil then pitocen ( sp? ). I also wanted to do everything naturally. By the time I was 4 cm diluated I was in so much pain that I couldn't stand it so opted to have an epidural. The epidural was great except for when they were actually administering it.
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Shot what shot??? they will most likley induce you with pitocin.... they give it to you through an IV and it makes your contractions start and get in a pattern so you deliver and I have been induced with all mine but I have talked to women who have had the pitocin verses the natural and they say it is worse...... my experience with the pitocin was that you dont ease into labor it doesnt start with light pains and then gets worse and worse its just starts out bad and it was like one big contraction with no breaks inbetween i thought it was awful but it was short my last two times and i got to do it with no drugs which was nice!! its gonna hurt either way but that was just my experience I would do whatever the dr thinks best in your situation!! good luck!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Sorry Momma, I can't tell you I've been induced both times for medical reasons (no comparison to give you). I've heard induced contractions are more powerful. I will say for a natural labor it will be harder because you can't get up, walk around, have someone rub your back... you'll have monitors on you for you and baby. That said, I also have a very good experience with induction - when it was time to push my first child was here in 30 minutes, my second was here in 2 pushes. Both kids were healthy and I was up and around shortly after giving birth. You can always go in telling your nurse you would like to try without pain medicine and ask when you need to let them know if you change your mind -- some say around 7cm is your last chance for an epi, others earlier. I don't know where you live but I have not had any problem asserting my wants and having nurses support the choices. Good luck!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 9:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• To me they really werent that different. With my first my water broke at 34weeks but had no contractions so they gave me pitocin had contractions one right after the other LITERALLY. Then they said they couldnt give me pitocin anymore and I was having contractions on my own so finally 3 days and NO PAIN MEDS later and only getting to 3cm they did a c-section.

With my second I went into labor on my own at 38 weeks and was in labor for 24 hours and still only got to 3cm. They were almost the same to me. But it I had to choose which one was worse it would be the second was worse I went 63 hours with my first. and 24 with my second and I was crying for meds as soon as I got to the hospital with my second. I only got a shot of staydol(SP?) but still.

If you can help it dont get induced UNLESS you or your baby is in danger. It can cause so many more problems. Let it happen when it happens. GOOD LUCK!!!!
    Anonymous

• If I were in your position, I would stay on bed rest and have the pregnancy last as long as it will. Is this your first? How long have you been on bed rest?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2008