Is it necessary for my 1 yr. old son to use a car seat when flying?

My husband, my son & I are flying to Florida to see my in-laws. I was wondering what advice any mom had for me about using a car seat on the plane.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Travel

• Your serious?? A carseat on the plane..won't help. It will burden your load with a child and bag in one arm and childseat in the other...and they size they come in now days...only positive I see is you won't have to check it...
    j2darose

Answer by j2darose at 11:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I've never heard of anyone using a carseat on the plane. Most people I know have just had the baby on their lap...otherwise you pay full price for that other seat.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I'm flying to Florida in March and I'm going to gate check my car seat and stroller. If there are seats available on the plane i'm going to ask to take my car seat on the plane for him to sit in. I think he will be more comfortable. If not, I'm just going to have him sit in my lap.
    Anonymous

• they do make u buy your own seat(maybe discoun ted) for a baby/child. But carseats r only needed if u want baby to understand they stay there just like when driving(not a bad idea since u r paying anyways), we have all flown w/kids that run amok in a plane and as much as I love kids0holy crap I want to beat those lol. As for safety, really it isn't like planes start and stop, or bump into stuff(God willing) so It is really up to u.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:13 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I googled this topic and some airlines do not make u pay for a baby/toddler but some do at a discounted rate. It also depends on the airline wether or not u have to check carseat or carry-it-on(cheaper), happy flying!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:15 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• If you pay for his ticket, you should take his carseat. If not, then just sit him on your lap.
    Yve538

Answer by Yve538 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• If you pay for his seat, It might be smart to invest in one of those stroller/carseat things!!! They are a carseat and when you take it ouf of the car a handle pulls out of the top and wheels from the bottom come down as well...........that way you can buckle him in it, buckle in on the plane and not have to worry about him running around and/or carrying him!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2008