• In the Spotlight:

Trendy name spellings

I don't mind trendy names for children but I see the most rediculous spellings and I wonder if people think it's really awesome. It's to the point that you can't spell anyone's name any more before you ask how. Do you think this is a good thing? I just met a boy name Rein (it must have been mispelled for the birth certificate because it was pronounced like Ryan. It wasn't spelled Rien, it was spelled Rein. C'mon people! This makes a parent illiterate and is pretty sad for the kid whose name is spelled incorrectly. Does this make sense to anyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Just for Fun

• You dont have control over how your last name is spelled but the first name you do. When you saddle your child with a hard to say/ hard to spell moniker what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Trying to make them unique or special? My child is very special & one of a kind regardless of whether their name is John Smith or Geeaideeann Smith.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• haha isnt rein like rain? how goofy. its not unusual or unique its just ridiculous. kids have hard enough lives that they shouldnt have to deal with explaining to everyone how to say their name
    learae

Answer by learae at 10:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I don't care for Rien either.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I say always ask for a spelling and shut the heck up!
    Anonymous

• Always ask for a spelling and laugh your head of when you get some nonsense! Mind your own business...it's just spelling, right? Is that what you meant anon.1936?
    Anonymous

• i think it is ridiculous sometimes but people have the right to name their children whatever they want. just ask how to spell it and youll avoid this problem.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 10:40 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Illiterate..[C'mon]? Ha...my daughters name is Jaunie-rose..no not pronounced (juan-ie) it is johnny. O..you spelled ridiculous incorrectly. I guess it's off your chest. Have a great one.
    j2darose

Answer by j2darose at 11:01 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Oh lord...I'm a substitute teacher, so we're infamous for mispronouncing names, but some of these spellings REALLY don't help! I don't think it does the child any favors in their adult life either. Its not like any boss you'll ever have will say "oh, wow, cool, I love how creative your parents got with the spelling of your name!!!" and with first impressions being so important, do you really want someone worried about how the hell to say your name or worry if they'll take you seriously?
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I think it depens on the name! Some spellings dont make any sense but I think if it can be pronounced how it is spelled, then its fine. For example: My daughters name is Makenna-it can be spelled like that, or McKenna, Or Makena, Or Macenna, etc....but it is pronounced how it is spelled.......so it works
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 11:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Really, I've had some doozies in my classes (I'm a teacher, usually) and I feel bad for the kids. I have to write the phonetic spelling next to the odd names on my roll sheet until I learn how to say them.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2008