43 weeks pregnant. !!??

yesterday i was told that the DR at the hospital i will be birthing at wants to wait until i am 43 weeks to induce... he said that i can go to 44 weeks before the pregnancy becomes a problem for me and the baby. i am so pissed. i cannot go for one more month! that will be 11 months of pregnancy! im 41 weeks now, and im 8 days overdue. is that legal??? or mal-practice? its a 7th Day Adventist Hospital. btw.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Have you had an ultrasound to check on the state of your placenta?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2011

• yes, have, and my baby is doing fine, for now. everything looks "great", but i am 41 weeks, and the baby is 6lbs and 8oz soo...why wait???
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2011

• Why does SDA have anything to do with it?

Second, odds are you aren't going to even carry that long.

Third, if all baby's vitals are stable, there is no need to induce and they are not liable.

Fourth, if you went 44 weeks there was probably a simple miscalculation in gestation. Pregnancy is give or take 14 days, always.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 23, 2011

• You should wait because it's best for your child.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2011

• Natural is always best
    have sex,its the best inducer. have him finish inside,the semen helps

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2011

• I carried to 43 weeks before I was induced. I did have 3X/week ultrasounds to check fluid levels during the last 2 weeks. My fluid levels really dropped off, which is dangerous and the reason I was induced-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2011

• Well induction for no medical reason *adds* unnecessary risks~ you are fortunate to have a doctor that is actually respectful!

And SDAs tend to be health-conscious so perhaps this plays into it~ you should learn more about the big risks with unnecessary interventions.
    Avoiding these risks is safest for you & your baby.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2011

• Why wait?
    Because your baby & your body aren't ready for birth yet, but they will be.
    No need to "fix" it if it ain't broke.

I am guessing you're unfamiliar with what EDDs are:
    The due date is the mid-point within the average [estimated] due period (of 38-42 weeks).
    *Of course many women deliver before or after the average!

;-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2011

• First due dates are calculated based on your last menstrual period usually and that could be off a week or so from when you actually got pregnant. Second an estimated due date is just that an estimation. Typical pregnancy is 36-40 weeks from CONCEPTION which is on average 38-42 weeks from your last menstrual period. It is perfectly legal to allow you and your child to let nature decide when LO is to be born as long as there are no indications of anything wrong. If LO is only measuring at 6 lbs and you are 41 weeks my guess is the EDD is a little off and you are not quite 41 weeks along. My girlfriend has 3 children and not one was born before 41 weeks from her ovulation date which would be 43 weeks for most based on LMP (she has irregular cycles and charted so she knew her ovulation).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2011

• Wow, someone didn't hear what they wanted to! Lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2011