is it normal for 1 year olds to hate getting laid down to get their diapers changed?

my son usually starts crying each time unless i give him a toy or cheerios to distract him. is this pretty common?

shinbi

Asked by shinbi at 10:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yep. Sometimes I have to pin my daughters arms down with my legs to change her.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Yes, I feel like we're in a WWF wrestling match half the time.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Yes, Yes, Yes! This is very common at this age because your little one has learned how to move and go anywhere he/she wants to go! They don't want to stop moving and exploring for anything, especially a diaper change. They just "don't have time to be bothered." You have found the key already on your own. Keep your child occupied with toys or the diaper or wipes container while you quickly change their diaper.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• no its not normal...

yeah its comletely normal
    Anonymous

• I give my little one a toy to focus on, and get it done as fast as possible. As long as she knows it's still playtime, she's okay.
    averillholistix

Answer by averillholistix at 11:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Completely normal! During this phase, we usually change them in our laps or while they are standing up. Try not to make a big deal out of it, as the attention (positive or negative) will drag things out. This stage will pass, promise!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 11:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I get everything as ready as possible, diaper open and down lids off any extras and wipes pulled if necessary. If its just a wet butt, I pop it off her standing up and the pop her onto the open diaper, Yelling something like Bonzai baby the whole time. It takes like 8 seconds, and she laughs like crazy.

The nice thing is she doesn't like a dirty bottom, so she will lay still while I clean that.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:11 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• yes its normal but i dont find it that hard because you should be a pro at changing diapers at a year and plus they get distracted easy anyways
    lydiamama

Answer by lydiamama at 1:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• LOL completly normal.Your taking a mobil child and asking they hold still,something they DONT do!
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 5:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• ALL TODDLERS WANT TO DO IS PLAY AND DONT WANT TO STOP TILL THEY CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE, THEY DONT LIKE TO STOP AND IT MAKES THEM MAD. THIS IS THE ONLY REASON I KNOW. I FEEL YOUR PAIN, I HAVE TO DO THE SAME THING.
    k10ann7

Answer by k10ann7 at 12:59 AM on Dec. 31, 2008