regularly using formula supplement, causing your baby to nurse less frequently
* having a baby who sleeps though the night (7 or more hours) without nursing
* being ill yourself with complications after the delivery, such as high blood pressure, anemia, or an infection
* being under a lot of stress, going on a weight-loss diet, or going back to work
* having very sore nipples that make it hard for you to breast-feed
* having had previous breast surgery, especially if it damaged your milk ducts.
A few women are unable to make sufficient milk even though they are nursing a vigorous, healthy baby and using proper technique. Sometimes no apparent cause can be found for a mother's low milk supply. The popular myth that every woman can breast-feed successfully is simply not true.
at 10:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2008