I am a 30 year old stay home mom of a 2 year old and an 11 month old, tired of being at home. am I a bad mother for wanting to go back to work and do something for me?

I found myself gloom and blue lately, and wanting to find and opportunity to bring a little bit of income to help my husband and pamper myself and my daughters.

bertha1103

Asked by bertha1103 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• There is no problem with that! But good luck finding a job in todays economy!!! Make sure that your are not depressed first-even though your baby is 11 months old, you could have post-partum depression that could be causing your gloominess!!! But otherwise, not a problem!!!
    Anonymous

• Nope! you could always just work p/t somewhere fun and see how you like it. There is nothing wrong in wanting to work!
    Anonymous

• Not everyone is cut out to be a doctor. Not everyone would enjoy being a lawyer. So why do we expect every woman to love being a stay at home mom???? I am and love it, but I can totally see how it would drive some women to depression. Is it selfish, yes...but not in a bad way. You are a person apart from your kids, and if going back to work is what you need, then do it. A happy mom makes for a better mom.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:10 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I agree with the above posters. Desert_Diva put it very well.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• So, why do you come on here and ask this question? If this is what you want to do, do it. You don't need anyone to tell you what to do, do you?
    Anonymous

• You deserve to do something for you. If being at home isn't for you then by all means go back to work. Without my P/T job I don't know where my sanity would be.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:20 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Not at all of course it gets lonely taking care of young ones. However once you start working you may regret it ...so start small get a part time job..and if it works great! ...if not, no big deal! I couldn't imagine leaving my daughter but that is just me! Everyone tells me I have to cut the umbilicle cord sometime ...haha
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 11:42 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I work 3 nights a week. My hubby has the kids two nights and the third is 'grandma' night.
    I tried to do the stay at home mom thing and cried for like a year straight.

I serve, by the way, and I love it. I get to talk to people, I get paid for it, and I only work when it is convenient for me.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:17 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

Why do you come on here and be an jerk?
    She wants support. That's what this site is for. Maybe you missed the memo. Or maybe you are on the wrong site. I'm sure there is a jerks anon site somewhere.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:19 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You know what, I totally understand how you're feeling! Except silly me, it's the opposite- I feel selfish because I really wish I could give up on the career and just stay home and raise my babies the way I want to. I understand your guilt, us moms really need me time, and it is really hard to get that, especially if the husband works long hours, or you aren't able to get a sitter very often. That might be what you need. I would totally suggest getting a part time job, or if you're okay with your income, a few kid-free hobbies should do the trick! :) Good luck mama!
    bschrantz

Answer by bschrantz at 12:36 AM on Dec. 28, 2008