How do you potty train 3 kids at once?

I have a 3, 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 year old that I would like to potty train together. How do I know they are ready and how do I do it all at once?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't even attempt all 3 at the same time. If you are going to then more power to you. You are super mom. I would start with the oldest, and then your second will follow. If you have boys try putting cheerios in the toilet and play target practice. My mom got us naked and we played in the bathroom all day with lots of liquids and salty snacks b/c you need to drink more with them. When we would start to tinkle she would make a loud noise and startle us--we would stop and then put them on the potty to finish. I don't have any other suggestions. I wish you all the luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:06 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• patiently. & just like you would with one child but multiply by 3
    Anonymous

• I'd start with the older 2. Get 2 potties, put them on a schedule, and take both of them at the same time. If the little one wants to join in, great! Get another potty for him then. If there is an IKEA near you, I highly recommend their potty. It's one piece, easy to clean, my daughter finds it comfy, and it's $5! Yes, $5!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• I have a 2 yr old & a 3 yr old. The younger of the 2 began to want to got potty when the older one did. Problem is she really wasnt & still isnt ready. My 3 yr old has been trained for a while now but the 2 yr old just goes when she feels like it (at times when I take her she does not go but waits till she has her diaper on again). She has been off/on using the potty now for about a yr but still is not ready to be out of diapers. I tried...really..I used cloth training pants on my older one & it worked but the little one still does not have the control she needs. She wants to wear "big girl undies" like sister but it all just turns into a hugh mess. My big girl uses the reg. toilet & little one the potty chair. You can try but they might not all be ready at the same time to train.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 12:04 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Some kids are ready at 18 mo (really the youngest age that you can try it & possibly have sucess because until then they just do not have the control) but some are not ready till age 3. It varies. With my older kids, I had one who trained completely and quickly before he was 2 but another one who was 3 1/2 before he was totally trained. You can try it out with them but if they refuse or it becomes a stressful thing its best to back off until they show interest.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 12:06 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I think it would be much easier to get them all three done together. The older one will not want to be shown up by the younger ones, and the younger ones will want to do what the older one is doing. For me the best thing was throwing away the diapers, I put them in panties/underwear. All of mine were potty trained before 2, and 2 were done by 18 mos, completely accident free. Only took about a week with each.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 2:45 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You don't really need to potty train the youngest yet just let him be a baby but with the 3yr old and the 2 1/2 it's more likely to work easier, so try that and maybe the youngest would like to copy.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 7:07 AM on Dec. 28, 2008