how is the best way to help a toddler adjust to a new room, in a new home. .

we will be moving the first of Jan, I was worried about how my 2yr old will adjust to the move. we were going to get him a toddler bed, however should i keep him in his crib for a couple of months until he his familiar with the room or am I looking to deep into this

combster

Asked by combster at 11:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would keep the crib for him to adjust b/c it is something familiar. Then have him help you put his stuff away that way it may help him settle easier. Then look into the big boy bed.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:08 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Does he have a favorite TV show/movie, like The Wiggles, Finding Nemo, etc? Maybe you could "Surprise" him with a new themed room, and in the beginning keeping old toys and his bed/crib to start then phasing them out to match the current theme?

I would also talk about the move...show him pictures of the new house, what his room might look like, the new friends he will have, the cool new things he'll get to do. Have him get involved in packing up his things and having a say in how his new room should look...where things shhoudl go--as much as possible!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• see above post.
    Also, I would pack his favorite things in a bag and not wash them the first couple of nights, barring any mishaps, so his bed smells like it always does for him. Smells are very comforting to little ones.

I would wait on the toddler bed until he is used to his new "big boy room" IF you have room you could put both in and let him kind of get used to the idea.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:08 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• This doesn't DIRECTLY answer your questions - I think the answers above did a good job. I wanted to share a tip I read once about moving with kiddos... they said to practice the move with toys during play with your child. It may have helped to do this longer than a wk, but it can't hurt. If you have a toy truck or boat or whatever talk about packing up all the stuff and moving it in vehicle. You can also use a plain box that you draw a van on or whatever to show your child what will happen...
    AggieMamacita

Answer by AggieMamacita at 12:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2008