• In the Spotlight:

Miscarriage

On monday the 22nd I started to bleed. On Tuesday the 23rd tissue came out about the size of a dollar bill. On wednesday the 24th a ton of tissue came out. I have been bleeding since monday the 22nd and have had cramps and am not comfortable with going to the doctor. How long is too long to be in pain from a miscarrage?

And am I stupid for thinking that this was my fault? I was two an a half months along....or am I stupider for not going to the doctor?

AnaBaumgartner

Asked by AnaBaumgartner at 11:18 PM on Dec. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had 3 miscarriages between 6-8 weeks it was always like starting a period just heavy, clotty bleeding. I never went to the dr with any of them because it was early, I stopped bleeding after a week, the craps were bad but nothing that was abnormal about them that I hadn't experienced during a period. Now some people don't pass the fetus as easy so if you have extremely bad bleeding (more than 1 pad/2hrs) really bad cramping (worse than your worst period cramp) start a fever, go to the dr asap. Other wise the dr will a) tell you to go home and tell you what I just did or b) do a d&c you don't need which can scar you and cause infertility later. You only want a d&c as a last resort.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 12:08 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• sweetheart this was not your fault-don't even let your brain go there. Miscarriage is the bodies way of saying"this lil one cannot survive" nature can be cruel.most times once a m/c starts it cannot be stopped-u could not have prevented this. hugs honey.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:24 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• First of all, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It's so heartbreaking to go through. Rest assured, most of the time, it's not the mom's fault, but yes, there are some times where it's a lifestyle thing. One night of drinking won't usually do it, so if that's the case, don't beat yourself up. It would be a good idea to go to the doctor, because this far along, you want to make sure everything does come out. If it doesn't, it can cause an infection, which is definitely no good.
    Good luck, and find some good friends to support you during this hard time. Go easy on yourself, too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:27 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• My heart is breaking for you right now. I went through this and I'm so sorry. It's not your fault.

Please go to the doctor. They need to make sure that all the tissue is removed effectively so you don't get an infection and have troubles trying to have another. You can get really sick and need to get checked.
    OOOOHUGSOOOO
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Please, please,please go to the Dr. Had I not gone to the ER when I started getting clots, I would have hemorrhaged out. It can happen so fast. I had to have a DNC right away, because I wouldn't stop bleeding.
    Plus, as another poster said, you can get infections and get sick.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 11:35 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• The only lifestyle thing that happened was that I fell down on Saturday the 20th when I slipped on the ice....my husband thinks that could have been what happened...I agree that nature is far too cruel...I still had to make Christmas supper for 17 people and only my husband, his mom and my grandmother knew what I was going through....I think that come monday I will go to the doctor...Thanks for your help....it helps but hurts all in one
    AnaBaumgartner

Answer by AnaBaumgartner at 11:43 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Miscarriages are horrible to go through. One of the most horrible things you can go through in life, in my opinion...but you do need to go to the doctor. You can get serious infections that could leave you infertile if not everything comes out. Your body is (as sad as it is to say) designed to take care of these things on its own, but it is far better to go get checked out and get some antibiotics than it is to worry about your future fertility even if it isn't something you're thinking about now.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• You need to go to the DR. As soon as possible! They must make sure that all the tissue is out to avoid infection. Please take care of this for your own good. Why dont you want to see a doctor?
    Yve538

Answer by Yve538 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 28, 2008