Do young men still have to fill out a draft card on their 18th birthday?

My DH insists that our soon to by 18yr old has to register a draft card. Is that still done? I mean...there's not draft going on right now and I never hear about a draft card anymore...not to mention we're not in a draft situation right now. Have any Mom's with soon to be 18yr old boys come across this?

happy2bme7

Asked by happy2bme7 at 12:20 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• Yes they do. Here is a website with facts.

www.sss.gov,

You can even register online.
    tambam75

Answer by tambam75 at 1:09 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• So far as I know yes, every male still has to register. They made the guys I went to school with do it before graduating if they were of age and that was in 2000. I haven't heard of any changes.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 12:22 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Is that something that they do through school?
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:23 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Well, we had a recruiting office in our high school that may have had something to do with it lol. I think they usually do it through the DMV, like registering to vote.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 12:25 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Well we have a recruiting office in our school also but I'd rather him not go to them for anything. They'll become his "best friend". I'll just check with the DMV. Thanks for you help : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:27 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I dont think my husband ever did and nothing has ever come of it.. though now he is thinking about enlisting....
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 12:29 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I don't blame you for avoiding them....ugh the recruiters at my school were more interested in hooking up with naive high school girls than actually doing there job. Your welcome and good luck to your son!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 12:34 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You can do it online now. Look up "Selective Service". My son did it online. He turned 18 in November. After you fill it out & submit it, you can print a temporary proof you did it. In a few weeks they mail you a card. Its simple. It still is the law & you can get fined if its discovered you did not register (guys only though)
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:02 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• also, you can register at your local post office.
    tambam75

Answer by tambam75 at 1:10 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Yes. My husband was just telling me of when he had to. His mom gave him the card on his 18th birthday to fill out and he is only 25 now.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:29 AM on Dec. 28, 2008