Were your kids supposed to have been doing studies through the holidays?

I guess just to keep their minds fresh from what they have learned.
No matter how much I try to study with them they're like aaww mom.
So then I say ok just a few more minutes (because I can not seem to break away from CM) so I let them play alittle longer before you know it it is time to get to bed.
I don't push too hard because I say tomorrow but the next day is the samething.
What can I do to follow through just to make sure they did not for get stuff.
It is so hard to break away not just being on CM. Just plain busy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• they were just supposed to read. They do the Book-it program and My 8yo and 7yo have to read 4 books each before they go back and my 6yo has to read 5. They've had since the beginning of the month to do this. My 6yo can't read yet so the books have to be read to her. My 7yo can only read easy books (like stage 1 books or pre-reading books).
    The only one that has finished is the 7yo. He did them all last week on his own. The 8yo has read one book and I read one full book to the 6yo and started another with her (her attention span is very short and she barely made it through the one book). These count towards their grade so they have to do them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:10 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Try having them do some studies with educational computer games. My kids love those!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Both of my kids have to read each night and they both brought home packets of work that they can do. It's not required for them to do the packet, but if they do complete it and turn it in, then they get a surprise from their teachers.
    melittler

Answer by melittler at 1:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Mine didn't have school assigned homework, but I assigned some reading. I told them they each had to read 5 books. They got some new books for Christmas, and that fulfilled their 5 book quota's. They had them all read in one day! They've earned extra TV and game time by reading more books. I've also had them practice their handwriting several times, as well as their numbers.
    Oh, they're 5 and 7, and both are accelerated readers.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 1:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• they could play freerice.com
    when you get there go to subjects and there is vocabulary, grammar, and math--all the while they earn rice for the poor and it does not cost you anything.
    We've been playing yahtzee, with is adding and multiplication---and I do these with my 7 1/2 year old.

HAVE FUN !

LauraPPL

Answer by LauraPPL at 8:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2008