Home Remedies For starting labor???

I am almost 38 weeks and am dilated to a tight three but i need to have this baby he is hurting me and my doctor won't induce me....
I have tried walking sex spicy food and tonight i took some castor oil... What else can I do???

Sweetie1202

Asked by Sweetie1202 at 12:59 AM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• wait for nature. you will only do harm if you try to force the baby out when he/she is not ready. just because your EDD says you are 38 weeks doesn't mean you are actually that far along. the dates they give are just estimates.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I'm in the same boat! 38 weeks and soo ready to get this baby out! I was dilated to 3 and 60% effaced on monday, and the doctor predicted sometime in the next few days, but it hasnt happened yet. I have another appt this coming monday and I am going to ask them to strip my membranes. My last OB wouldnt do it but I know plenty of women who have had it done... sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. You can try some nipple stimulation but be careful because you can get such strong contractions from it that the baby can go into 'fetal distress' and something very bad could happen. Most people will tell you that the baby will come when it's ready, which is true, but I know how you feel! Hope you dont have to wait too long.
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 1:07 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• try squatting... i was only dilating a tight ass 1.. haha and i couldnt wait to POP!! hahaha and i walked and squatted the whole night before and guess what my water broke!! give it a try good luck!!!
    maxi169

Answer by maxi169 at 1:07 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Try taking more of the oil!! At first I only took what the bottle said and not much happened. I tried like 10 tablespoons (or is it teaspoons?... whichever it is. I know the bottle called for 3 or 4 and I took 10) I didn't end up having my son but I had very intense contractions and ended up dialating more. I tired again taking more than normal 2 days later and ended up dialating more and in false labor. I would've taken more since I was obiously progressing but I couldn't stand even thinking about it without throwing up. Good luck!!
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 1:26 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• be careful with the castor oil, it can cause severe stomach cramping and explosive diarrhea... and then after you endure all of that, its possible that you wont go into labor at all.
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 1:33 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Nipple stimulation and sex is the best. The sex is not just the act, SO must ejaculate in you, there is a chemical reaction that occurs when the sperm is inside. I don't know where the info came about nipple stimulation causing problems, I have never heard of that, my doc and midwife are the ones to told me to do that, and I was slightly high risk.

Do not do the castor oil. The only thing it will do is give you horrible diarrhea, which can cause dehydration, then when you go to the hospital they won't allow you to eat or drink. Yes they will be giving you iv fluids, but what about the energy labor takes?
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 2:14 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• wait. thats selfish to try and make the baby come out its obviously not ready or it would already be here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Dec. 28, 2008

• i tried everything too mama nothing really works they will come out when they are ready trust me i was 10 days over due before my dr. induced me... spicy food, raspberry tea, pineapples, nipple stimulation, mac'n cheese with A-1 sauce lol you name it i tried it as long as i felt it would be safe for me and the baby just hang in there your almost done!!
    j_hamb

Answer by j_hamb at 9:58 AM on Dec. 28, 2008